[Heb-NACO] Mikra'ot Gedolot apparent new edition?

Manuel Frau-Cortes nfrau at umd.edu
Tue Dec 17 16:34:55 EST 2013

Dear all,

I am about to catalogue two new volumes of Mikra'ot Gedolot ha-Keter. According to our bib record, originated at LC, the set is still incomplete, being published since 1992. One of the volumes we just received (Leviticus) is ok, but the other one seemed repeated (Samuel 1 -2). I say "seemed" because when I took the old one from the stacks they are identical in every way except for the sponsors and because the new one has a shorter introduction (by two pages). The ISBNs are different, though. So here is the conundrum:

1.       Does anybody know if the publisher is actually starting a new set? Expecting to complete the old set?

2.       I guess that I probably should make a new bib record on OCLC, and figure out if there are any other vols. from the old set that should be transferred to this new bib.

By the way, the older volumes are 31 cm and the new ones 25 cm, so it could well be that at some point they decided to begin a new set. The bib record (#29028549) has 90+ holdings.

Let me know if you have any other information.

Neil M. Frau-Cortes

Hebraica Cataloger
McKeldin Library
University of Maryland