[Heb-NACO] question regarding pronunciation of מגבוה

Aaron Kuperman akup at loc.gov
Wed Sep 12 16:03:29 EDT 2012

While this was not anyone's intention, this is a most eloquent arugment
over why Romanization is a dumb idea.  In a catalog following AACR2 or RDA
- minus the exception for non-Roman scripts, i.e. transcribing rather than
inventing data - there is no problem. You record the words as they are
written - in Hebrew script. What we are doing is similar to what the
situation would be in we were told to indicate in our records how the word
"renaissance" or "laboratory" is pronounced on the title page of the book
in hand - which is irrelevant even if we know whether the author is
American or British. We are arguing over how something is pronounced that
in no way resembles the language as it is pronounced by normal people
(with special training in Hebrew vocalization) in the real
world. Unicode is here, and is increasingly standard - maybe its
time for a serious effort t drop all or almost all romanization in
favor of joining the RDA movement to record what is actually on the
title page and stop making things up in libraryspeak.  --Aaron
Kuperman (obviously not the official position of my employer)