[Heb-NACO] RDA: Update of RDA NARs

Heidi G Lerner lerner at stanford.edu
Tue Oct 9 16:43:29 EDT 2012

p.s. I am basing my comments on not adding dates of birth [and/or death]  if the information is not found in the resource or other references sources cited to support the choice of heading and there is no need to break a conflict ,  on LCPS 9.19.1.1 "Differentiating Authorized Access Points for Persons."

Include the date of birth and date of death if AVAILBLE in the authorized access point for a person when creating a new name authority record. If an addition is needed to differentiate the authorized access point for one person from the authorized access point for another person, apply cataloger judgment when choosing to add one of the following (not listed in priority order) to the authorized access point being established: period of activity of the person, fuller form of name, and/or profession or occupation.
If there are no additions readily available to differentiate the access point in the new authority record, make an addition to the existing authorized access point.

The important word is "available." To the best of my knowlege RDA nor the LCPS's tell us what avaialble means but most catalogers interpret it as meaning "doing extra research beyond the resource in hand."

Thanks, Heidi