[Heb-NACO] Romanization of Names in Hebrew Script

Biella, Joan jbie at loc.gov
Sun Dec 4 18:48:34 EST 2011

Heb-NACO readers may be interested in the following, a proposed Library of Congress Policy Statement (the RDA equivalent of an AACR2 Rule Interpretation) for instruction 9.2.2.5.3.  This draft was prepared in September by the Israel/Judaica Section at LC and the AJL Cataloging Committee, and is now under consideration for adoption.  --Joan Biella

Hebraic Alphabet: Follow this order of preference for persons with Hebrew and Yiddish surnames:

1.  If the name is found prominently in a romanized form on the person’s works in Hebrew or any other language written in the Hebrew script, use this form.

2.  If the name is found as the heading for an article about the person in The Encyclopaedia Judaica or The Encyclopedia of Jews in the Islamic World, use this form. If the form varies in these two sources, use the form found in The Encyclopaedia Judaica.

3.  If the name is found in a romanized form in a widely-known and easily-consulted free online source, use this form, especially where a person who writes or is written about primarily in the Hebrew script provides a preferred romanized form of the name in the reference source (e.g., Facebook, Linkedin) or, failing such a source, a general source (e.g., Wikipedia).

4.  Otherwise, use the systematically romanized form of the name.

5.  However,
            a)  If the authorized access point for an author reflects the systematically romanized form and a subsequently received work of the author in Hebrew or Yiddish shows a non-systematically romanized name (i.e., a “found romanization”), generally do not change the heading. This means that only in exceptional cases will systematically romanized names be candidates for change.
            b)  If the heading for a Hebrew or Yiddish author reflects a non-systematically romanized form and a subsequently received work of the author in Hebrew or Yiddish shows a different non-systematically romanized form (i.e., a different “found romanization”), do not change the heading until the different form clearly predominates.