[Comicsstudiessociety] CSSC/SCEBD CFP 2022 Annual Conference

Erika Chung erika.chung at ryerson.ca
Mon Jan 10 11:20:36 EST 2022

Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year!

I want to share the CFP to the Canadian Society for the Study of Comics's
annual conference again. Submissions are due Monday, January 31, 2022. The
conference will be online May 19-20, 2022. Please see below for the
original CFP announcement and attached CFP.

Thank you all!
- Erika

Original Announcement:

The Canadian Society for the Study of Comics invites proposals for
presentations and pre-constituted roundtables on any and all aspects of
comics, broadly conceived. “Comics” can refer to comic strips, comic books,
graphic novels, visual poetry, and other types of graphic narratives. We
are also open to proposals that consider adaptations of comics into other
media. This year’s conference will be held in a virtual format on Thursday,
May 19 and Friday, May 20, 2022, as part of the Congress of the Humanities
and Social Sciences*.

Attached to this email is the official CFP in English and French for our
2022 conference. Please consider forwarding to your networks, as we believe
the subject of our conference may be of interest to them. This year’s theme
will be Days of Future Past: Shifting Histories and Possible Tomorrows. We
are especially interested in proposals that examine how suppressed accounts
and radical visions can challenge colonial historical narratives. This
could apply to analysis of comics that depict alternative histories and
utopian futures. Alternatively, proposals could also apply a critical
historicist lens to challenge patriarchal accounts of the comics industry’s
past and development. We are also interested in proposals that examine the
future prospects and material conditions of comics production.

** Update regarding the CSSC/SCEBD’s relationship with Congress*

The Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences is an annual umbrella
meeting for over seventy Canadian scholarly associations. The CSSC/SCEBD is
currently assessing its relationship with Congress, pending investigation
by our Equity and Anti-Racism Committee. As such, our organization’s
participation in Congress 2022 will not be confirmed until March 2022.
Presenters accepted to the conference will be given detailed instructions
regarding when and how to register.
___
Erika Chung (she/her)
PhD Candidate - Communication and Culture
X University and York University
VP Communications (English) - Canadian Society for the Study of Comics