[Comicsstudiessociety] IJOCA reviewer desired - Ballad for Sophie musical gn, worldwide digital copy

Mike Rhode mrhode at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 17:57:25 EDT 2021

First person to write back to me at mrhode at gmail.com gets it, although
someone who's got expertise in either music or European albums might be
preferred. Also, there's an interview opportunity which I'd be VERY
interested in having someone pick up, whether the reviewer or someone else.

Mike Rhode

Here's parts of the PR:

*Ballad for Sophie* is a must-read adult graphic novel about rivalry,
regret and redemption - all centering around the classical music world. As
mentioned in my original note, if you’re a fan of classical piano, or
literary / historical fiction, please give it a read (& listen, Spotify
link below)...you’ll dig it.

On November 2nd, Top Shelf Productions
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://f1add9da54889c7e9674a5ce0953d6f6.tinyemails.com/d03d253ac69a290395400931d290672e/177f2397692d5d7859fab201514c20a5.html__;!!KGKeukY!npcdyTz_e5XaHzMJwUIPGqJ03IsgeOPjTv3rjpTLwlQS7XTA4awtTkUW7_xV5nte3lDPzuW_i9f7$ >
(an imprint of IDW) will be releasing *Ballad for Sophie**, *a new
music-themed graphic novel by Portuguese musician Filipe Melo and artist
Juan Cavia that is packed with all of the drama of a rock ‘n’ roll biopic
and with more twists than a night at the opera.

*Ballad for Sophie* is a sweeping tale about what happens when a young
journalist prompts a reclusive musical superstar to finally break his
silence. Starring child prodigies, bitter old men, beautiful dancers,
demonic managers, Nazi commandants, compassionate nuns and lifesaving
animals, *Ballad for Sophie *is a stunning graphic symphony exploring a
lifetime of ambition, betrayal, compassion anguish, long-buried secrets and
flying pianos.

   - *INTERVIEW OP: Ballad for Sophie *author, Filipe Melo and artist, Juan
   Cavia are both available for *email* interviews. If interested, let me
   know and I’ll set something up for you!

   - *PREVIEW SCENES & SHAREABLE PAGES:* Pages 55-63 to share with your
   audience and/or accompany your coverage HERE
   <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10MGD6RPpqk1wOot9FFhpWeN2gUcg0j8I?usp=sharing__;!!KGKeukY!npcdyTz_e5XaHzMJwUIPGqJ03IsgeOPjTv3rjpTLwlQS7XTA4awtTkUW7_xV5nte3lDPzgWf3XvQ$ >
   .
   - *TAKE A LISTEN: *Listen to the beautiful *Ballad for Sophie* theme
   song on Spotify HERE
   <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://open.spotify.com/album/6jAdjZ0mwtVLGYKL2zDRnt__;!!KGKeukY!npcdyTz_e5XaHzMJwUIPGqJ03IsgeOPjTv3rjpTLwlQS7XTA4awtTkUW7_xV5nte3lDPzvBxj52G$ >.
   - *SHEET MUSIC:* In addition to the book, the *Ballad for Sophie *piano
   instrumental sheet music is printed in the back of the book. check it out
   HERE
   <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YatjR4Z5LTM9k52gVWpjHqotj0qAnKEI/view?usp=sharing__;!!KGKeukY!npcdyTz_e5XaHzMJwUIPGqJ03IsgeOPjTv3rjpTLwlQS7XTA4awtTkUW7_xV5nte3lDPzlnz3DOa$ >
   .

*FILIPE MELO *is a Portuguese musician, award-winning film director, and
author. With decades of experience in classical and jazz piano, he teaches
music at ESML, a university in Lisbon. He has developed commercials, music
videos, and award-winning short films such as *I’ll See You in My  Dreams *and
*Sleepwalk*. His international writing career includes the *Dark Horse
Presents *anthology, a career award from the Amadora  comics festival, and
several projects with Juan Cavia.

*JUAN CAVIA *has worked as an art director and illustrator since 2004,
after studying illustration and painting with the Argentinean  artist
Carlos Pedrazzini. His work includes graphic novels, advertisements, TV,
music videos, theater and nine feature films, including  Juan José
Campanella’s Oscar-winning *The Secret in Their Eyes*.