[Comicsstudiessociety] Graphic Storytellers at Work: Cross-industry opportunities for cartoonists, illustrators and comics-makers

Charles Hatfield charles.hatfield at gmail.com
Wed May 12 14:37:08 EDT 2021

The things that come to my mailbox...

Colleagues, check out this stunning project, *Graphic Storytellers at
Work: **Cross-industry opportunities for cartoonists, illustrators and
comics-makers,* sponsored by the Australia Council for the Arts
and bringing together researchers from the U of Technology Sydney, the U of
Melbourne, and RMIT University:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.australiacouncil.gov.au/research/graphic-storytellers-at-work/__;!!KGKeukY!jTVn3C1LMa0xhMlUZUPf4Ly4H0z1Ge1rgpZbf5caY5B6uCU34npFrlMGrkMpU2IlD_onaxnCqlms$

There's a lovely video trailer for the project at the above URL, and also
downloadable PDFs of the poster/zine based on the project, designed by the
great Dr. Pat Grant (UTS) in collaboration with Gabriel Clark (UTS), Dr.
Elizabeth MacFarlane (Melbourne), and Dr. Ronnie Scott (RMIT). See attached
photo. Good gosh, it's a beautiful comics object, printed in two Pantone
inks and just dazzlingly rich and complicated. (Thanks to Eav Brennan and
Pat Grant of UTS for sending me copies!)

In form and substance, this is an inspiring and very useful project, one
that traces myriad connections among comics-making, various skill sets, and
professional opportunities. If you're looking for a way to explain and
boost comics studies on your campus, a way to show your colleagues and
admins what "interdisciplinarity" can really mean, this project could
provide support.

Next year, I think I'm going to ask my Comics students to annotate this
project digitally, along with *How Comics Work*, by Candida Rifkind,
Brandon Christopher, and Alice RL (from the U of Winnipeg "One Book
UWinnipeg" program, 2019); and *How to Study Comics & Graphic Novels: **A
Graphic Introduction to Comics Studies*, by Enrique del Rey Cabero, Michael
Goodrum, and Josean Morlesín Mellado (from the Oxford Comics Network/Oxford
Research Centre in the Humanities, 2021). All of these are freely available
online, and I think could be great introductions to comics studies for new
students. (Anyone want to join me in ways of brainstorming pedagogical uses
for these projects?)

CH
Charles Hatfield