[Comicsstudiessociety] Call for Artwork for Undisciplining Latinx Comics & Visual Culture collection

Fernanda Diaz-Basteris mdiazbasteris at cornellcollege.edu
Tue Mar 30 18:30:32 EDT 2021

Greetings, Comics community!

We are looking for artists to contribute artwork for an edited collection
of academic essays entitled *Undisciplining Latinx Comics & Visual Culture:
Pedagogical, Theoretical, and Aesthetic Approaches*. This collection
explores how visual narratives formally explicate the inherent
heterogeneity and diversity within Latinx, and asks: how do Latinx comics
and visual culture bring alternative formations of belonging, community,
and care into view?

We invite artists to submit works that blend the creative and the critical
to interrogate how aesthetics not only represents but also complicates
notions of Latinx identities, histories, and narratives. We invite short
comics and zines (5-10 pages); political cartoons; and single-panel or page
illustrations, cartoons, memes, prints, or posters.

We are particularly interested in the following questions and topics:

   - How do artists envision Latinx futures, feminisms, and coalitions?
   - How do Latinx comics and visual art serve as pedagogical, educational,
   political, or activist tools?
   - How can we rewrite (or redraw) the border, the nation-state, and
   criminalizing narratives of immigrants?
   - How might aesthetics playfully experiment with and portray the
   inherent heterogeneity and diversity within Latinx experiences?
   - Latinx visual histories and autobiographies.
   - Queer & Trans Latinx identities and narratives.
   -

 If you are interested in being considered for this collection, please
send:

   1. A short sample of your work. Please note that you do not have to have
   a completed project to apply. If you are still working on the piece, it
   could be an excerpt or a sample of previous work.
   2. A short abstract of no more than 250 words that summarizes its key
   questions and themes.
   3. A bio of no more than 150 words along with your title/affiliation and
   contact information.

*Please email submission to Fernanda **Díaz**-Basteris at *
*mdiazbasteris at cornellcollege.edu* <mdiazbasteris at cornellcollege.edu>* and
Maite Urcaregui **murcaregui at ucsb.edu* <murcaregui at ucsb.edu>* by April 30,
2021. *

Best Fer and Maite