[Comicsstudiessociety] New edited collection: Immigrants and Comics

nhora lucia serrano nhoraluciaserrano at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 20:57:37 EDT 2021

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

If I may please, I am happy to share with you all my new edited
collection: *Immigrants
and Comics: Graphic Spaces of Remembrance, Transaction, and Mimesis
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.routledge.com/Immigrants-and-Comics-Graphic-Spaces-of-Remembrance-Transaction-and-Mimesis/Serrano/p/book/9781138186156__;!!KGKeukY!iui49P7zZ5CYxC4AfMcDczjUHtZKG3HRFQo_HOKsXPg5d5KnmU4A2xggcVoYjT65gbxdszDlj2m-$ >*.

Part of the “Routledge Advances in Comics Studies
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.routledge.com/Routledge-Advances-in-Comics-Studies/book-series/RACS__;!!KGKeukY!iui49P7zZ5CYxC4AfMcDczjUHtZKG3HRFQo_HOKsXPg5d5KnmU4A2xggcVoYjT65gbxds4nNXXgG$ >”
book series edited by Randy Duncan and Matthew Joseph Smith, *Immigrants
and Comics *is an interdisciplinary, themed anthology that focuses on how
comics have played a crucial role in representing, constructing, and
reifying the immigrant subject and the immigrant experience in popular
global culture of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries.

It includes a wonderful Foreword by Frederick Luis Aldama, and brilliant
essays by Fabrice Leroy, Brian Cremins, Dave Ball, Mark McKinney, Susan
Kirtley, Nicholas Thiesen, Christopher Conway, Michelle Bumatay, Jan
Baetens and Hugo Frey, Mauricio Espinoza, Catriona MacLeod, Candida
Rifkind, Johnathan Flowers, and myself. Sincere & huge thanks to the
contributors!

Endorsed by Ann Miller, Hillary Chute, Jeff Williams, Martha Kuhlman, and
Barbara Postema (thank you!), my introduction touches upon editorial
cartoons by David Rowe and Joseph Keppler, graffiti by Banksy, and art
exhibits by the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum in Columbus, Ohio
and Cité Nationale de l'Histoire de l’Immigration in Paris.

I am thrilled it is officially available to libraries and everyone today –
please inform your libraries to get their copy now!

Thank you! ¡gracias!

-Nhora

Nhora Lucía Serrano, Ph.D.
Associate Director for Digital Learning & Research |
*Hamilton College*

Co-Editor, Crossing Lines: Transcultural/Transnational Comics Studies |

*Wilfrid Laurier University Press *

*Hamilton College is located on the ancestral and traditional lands of the
Oneida Nation.*