[Comicsstudiessociety] CFP Extension - Canadian Society for the Study of Comics

Erika Chung erika.chung at ryerson.ca
Mon Jan 11 13:59:18 EST 2021

Hi Everyone,

I'm writing to share that the CFP for the Canadian Society for the Study of
Comics conference has been extended to Friday January 22, 2021.

The CSSC's invites proposals for presentations and pre-constituted
roundtables on any and all aspects of comics, broadly conceived. This
year’s conference will be held online on Thursday, June 3 and Friday, June
4 as part of the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences.

Last year, our annual conference was cancelled due to COVID-19. For our
2021 conference, we will be carrying forward last year’s theme of Bridging
Divides: Confronting Colonialism and Anti-Black Racism to ensure it
receives the attention and focus it deserves. We are especially interested
in proposals that examine comics through the lens of critical race theory
to address the politics of representation and social justice. Potential
topics for proposals include the following:

   - Representation of BIPOC individuals and communities in comics
   - Works by and for Indigenous and/ racialized communities
   - Comics engaging with Black Lives Matters and other social justice
   movements addressing racial oppression
   - Decolonizing comics studies in the classroom
   - Representations of race in Manga
   - The impact of coloring on depictions of racialized characters
   - Confrontations with colonial historical narratives
   - Representations of police in superhero comics (including depictions of
   the policing of BIPOC communities or comics that address the police
   abolition movement)
   - Social justice in the professional practices of the comics industry

For additional conference, CFP and application details, please see the
attached PDF or our website <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://comics-scholars.com/wp/?p=853__;!!KGKeukY!k2MbC1yFvOz9zcD32P7zjfyKgvKKTX9GPW5nQXRSMOC_5LHlkISz-qRQ4MkGFQ8QnGSUCLZBbMkp$ >

Thank you,
Erika
___
Erika Chung
PhD Candidate - Communication and Culture
Ryerson University and York University
VP Communications (English) - Canadian Society for the Study of Comics