[Comicsstudiessociety] Critical Nostalgia (announcement) & Richie Rich and Casper #31

Osvaldo Oyola themiddlespaces at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 11:36:00 EST 2021

Hey all,

I wanted to drop a line to  share a link to my latest comics writing on The
Middle Spaces:

Autonecrohomoeroticism: Revisiting Richie Rich
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://themiddlespaces.com/2021/02/09/richie-rich-casper-31/__;!!KGKeukY!ly4ITjn55V8i4J0k2FdOXGgnz95lmmhms-bX0BFPPl_LCRIt3f1L5QjYeIF0Zj8oy_bNhL2oz_Kn$ > & Casper #31

For those who need that first part of the title broken down, that is
auto-necro-homo-eroticism.

This was a weird and fun thing to write and I hope you all enjoy it and
maybe find some value in it, but I also want to let everyone know that this
is first in a new series on The Middle Spaces called "Critical Nostalgia,"
which invites scholars, aca-fans, grad students, and any thoughtful writers
to write 2000 to 3000 words about a single comic book issue or story therein
that was a fave or obsession in younger days. By "younger days" I mean any
time in the past and that has not been revisited since, so that could be
(like in the linked first example) a comic from childhood or it could mean
something from college days or grad school or something else depending on
how old we are or our relationship to the specific subject.

Writers are asked to briefly contextualize the comic, describe what its
appeal was to you back in the day, and then reconsider its meaning or
connotations in light of how you approach comics now. Our hopes is to
publish three or four of these a year. Brief pitches including what you want
to write about and how (along with a CV) can be sent to
themiddlespaces at gmail.com <mailto:themiddlespaces at gmail.com>  and will
likely go through one or two rounds of revision. Writers of accepted essays
will receive a $50 honorarium (courtesy of our patreon supporters) upon
publication.

In the future, this series may be opened up to allow for writing about a
single TV show episode or film scene, or pop single, but for now we're
sticking with comics.

If you have any interest or any questions, do not hesitate to reach out.

Kind regards,

Osvaldo