[Comicsstudiessociety] E-book available for IJOCA review, worldwide - Hayao Miyazaki

Mike Rhode mrhode at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 20:29:26 EDT 2021

To the first person to write to me directly at mrhode at gmail.com. You will
get a link from the publisher to a version that you have to read via
Dropbox w/o downloading and the book and review are embargoed until Sept
7th. You can turn your review in earlier than that, but we won't be
publishing it until the 7th. This is not a typical academic publisher, so
things aren't working the same way as they normally do.

Mike

Hayao Miyazaki
By Jessica Niebel. Foreword by Toshio Suzuki. Text by Pete Docter, Daniel
Kothenschulte.

A richly illustrated journey through the extraordinary cinematic worlds of
beloved filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://artbook.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9839d276b13ef8e69c5aa9979&id=74b290fb57&e=43e9bc7da5__;!!KGKeukY!hjLjXeN9viB4I6YplLHBCSs2nb9Jo6GGeSuW6Ah8yvg2KJHb4dUiW11YnoSD5rK1h1LEmkcqefec$ >
*Hayao Miyazaki*, published by DelMonico Books / Academy Museum of Motion
Pictures.

For over four decades, Hayao Miyazaki has been enchanting audiences of all
ages. His animated films, often featuring children navigating unfamiliar
and challenging worlds, offer timeless explorations of youth and what it
means to grow up. Celebrated and admired around the globe for his artistic
vision, craftsmanship and deeply humanistic values, Miyazaki has influenced
generations of artists. The universal appeal of his evocative natural
settings and complex characters, many among them strong girls and young
women, cuts across cultural boundaries.

This book is published on the occasion of the inaugural exhibition at the
Academy Museum of Motion Pictures in Los Angeles, opening September 30,
2021, and is produced in collaboration with Studio Ghibli in Tokyo. It
accompanies the first ever retrospective dedicated to the legendary
filmmaker in North America and introduces hundreds of original production
materials, including artworks never before seen outside of Studio Ghibli’s
archives. Storyboards, character designs, layouts, backgrounds and
production cels from his early career through all 11 of his feature films,
including *My Neighbor Totoro* (1988),* Kiki’s Delivery Service*
(1989), *Princess
Mononoke* (1997),* Spirited Away* (2001) and* Howl’s Moving Castle* (2004),
offer insight into Miyazaki’s creative process and masterful animation
techniques.
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://artbook.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9839d276b13ef8e69c5aa9979&id=783d31632b&e=43e9bc7da5__;!!KGKeukY!hjLjXeN9viB4I6YplLHBCSs2nb9Jo6GGeSuW6Ah8yvg2KJHb4dUiW11YnoSD5rK1h1LEmvZeDERw$ >
Spreads from *Hayao Miyazaki*, published by DelMonico Books / Academy
Museum of Motion Pictures.