[Comicsstudiessociety] April 12: Jackie Davis + Huda Fahmy: Vulnerability Is My Superpower

Mike Rhode mrhode at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 10:23:08 EDT 2021

Apr 12
Jackie Davis + Huda Fahmy: Vulnerability Is My Superpower
by The Strand Book Store
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.eventbrite.com/e/jackie-davis-huda-fahmy-vulnerability-is-my-superpower-tickets-137331950561?aff=mailchimp&utm_source=Strand*Newsletter&utm_campaign=212832b464-EMAIL_2021_03_21*Upcoming*Events_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_94fd8572f3-212832b464-178216369&mc_cid=212832b464&mc_eid=6181d05b35*listing-organizer__;KysrIw!!KGKeukY!mPHeM2DcxIrMLK1PzhWmNJFStwASGTQLc419sblDbIZVq5hYjjHlewAU--PXl9atsCiCD1W5f90z$ >
$5 – $39.99
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.eventbrite.com/e/jackie-davis-huda-fahmy-vulnerability-is-my-superpower-tickets-137331950561__;!!KGKeukY!mPHeM2DcxIrMLK1PzhWmNJFStwASGTQLc419sblDbIZVq5hYjjHlewAU--PXl9atsCiCD29KjSz5$

Event Information
*Join us for a virtual event on Crowdcast.io with Jackie Davis for the
launch of her new book Vulnerability Is My Superpower*
About this Event

Join Jackie Davis as she presents her newest book *Vulnerability Is My
Superpower: An Underpants and Overbites Collection.* Joining Jackie in
conversation is fellow published comic artist Huda Fahmy. This event will
be held on Crowdcast.io.

Can't make the event? Purchase a copy of *Vulnerability Is My Superpower*
here <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://checkout.square.site/buy/TRRPPPJWH4AQGJOHXBSPORKU__;!!KGKeukY!mPHeM2DcxIrMLK1PzhWmNJFStwASGTQLc419sblDbIZVq5hYjjHlewAU--PXl9atsCiCD80ks_dx$ >.

To support Huda, you can purchase her books here
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.strandbooks.com/search-results?page=1&Huda*20Fahmy&searchVal=Huda*20Fahmy&type=product__;JSU!!KGKeukY!mPHeM2DcxIrMLK1PzhWmNJFStwASGTQLc419sblDbIZVq5hYjjHlewAU--PXl9atsCiCDxc0hK05$ >
.

*By being her anxious, honest, and just plain silly self, Jackie Davis'
potato-shaped character proves that, even though opening up to others is
scary at first, vulnerability can be a superpower.*

*Vulnerability Is My Superpower* features Jackie Davis's relatable diary
comics about self-discovery, mental health, relationships, and childhood.
>From bouts with anxiety and insecurity to the thrill of simple pleasures
like secretly trying on other people's coats at a party, she's figuring
things out as she goes along, navigating domestic life with her husband,
Pat (aka "the Purple Guy"), and sharing her most embarrassing thoughts and
habits so you don't have to.For anyone who struggles with self-confidence
or just likes to scrutinize the curious workings of relationships and
everyday life, the confessional comic gems in this book invite laughter at
even the most awkward and vulnerable moments while making you feel less
alone.
[image: Jackie Davis + Huda Fahmy: Vulnerability Is My Superpower image]

*Jackie E. Davis* lives in Rochester, NY with a bunch of happy houseplants,
squishy plush toys, and her husband Pat. He's the exhausted purple
character in her comics and an artist, too. Jackie has been drawing chubby
things with googly eyes her whole life, much to the disappointment of her
art teachers, but now to the delight of the Internet! She discovered comics
and her passion for them around 2015, and has been reading, writing, and
drawing them ever since, launching her popular webcomic Underpants and
Overbites. She has self-published two comics collections
and her third book, *Vulnerability Is My Superpower,* is coming out in
April 2021 with Andrews McMeel Publishing.

When Jackie isn't drawing, she enjoys playing outside, finding things on
the ground, and peeking in the neighbors' windows in search of new friends.

Jackie has yet to win any awards beyond 8th grade when she got 2nd place
for drawing a pair of sneakers, but she is hopeful.
[image: Jackie Davis + Huda Fahmy: Vulnerability Is My Superpower image]

*Huda Fahmy* is a hijab-clad Muslim woman who was born and raised in
Detroit, Michigan. She is the author of the internationally successful
books *Yes, I’m Hot in This: The Hilarious Truth About Life in a
Hijab* and *That
Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story*. Between drawing and googling
“breathable cotton dresses,” Huda enjoys spending time at home in Houston
with her husband, Gehad, and their son. Huda continues to post art on
Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook under the handle @yesimhotinthis.