[Comicsstudiessociety] Good White Queers? Racism and Whiteness in Queer U.S. Comics open access book

Mike Rhode mrhode at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 12:55:34 EDT 2021

Good White Queers? Racism and Whiteness in Queer U.S. Comics
Kai Linke
- Language: English
- Publisher: transcript-Verlag
- Copyright year: 2021
- Audience: Professional and scholarly;
- Pages:

   - Main content: 332

DOI: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://doi.org/10.14361/9783839449172__;!!KGKeukY!joh-QSkdtzfk6hwQG1zSwz48QX7_FawXoP7Y4SgK3FCK-nqoHiKegs2uVrnEpRXvoWpVa46DKdPO$
download link
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.14361/9783839449172/pdf__;!!KGKeukY!joh-QSkdtzfk6hwQG1zSwz48QX7_FawXoP7Y4SgK3FCK-nqoHiKegs2uVrnEpRXvoWpVa3o8JZNw$
About this book

How do white queer people portray our own whiteness? Can we, in the stories
we tell about ourselves, face the uncomfortable fact that, while queer, we
might still be racist? If we cannot, what does that say about us as
potential allies in intersectional struggles? A careful analysis of* Dykes
To Watch Out For* and *Stuck Rubber Baby* by queer comic icons Alison
Bechdel and Howard Cruse traces the intersections of queerness and racism
in the neglected medium of queer comics, while a close reading of Jaime
Cortez's striking graphic novel *Sexile/Sexilio* offers glimpses of the
complexities and difficult truths that lie beyond the limits of where white
queer self-representations dare to tread.
Author information

*Kai Linke*, born in 1981, works as an educator in Berlin. He received his
PhD in American studies from Humboldt University in Berlin. His work
focuses on queer and trans issues, racism, and whiteness.