[Comicsstudiessociety] New manga studies book: The Translator Without Talent

Charles Hatfield charles.hatfield at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 14:13:51 EDT 2020

Hello! The following book announcement by manga scholar and translator Ryan
Holmberg may be of interest (it has certainly sparked my interest!):

Dear Colleagues.

I would like to announce the publication of my new book, *The Translator
Without Talent*, from Bubbles Zine Publications in Richmond, Virginia.
While mainly of interest to people in manga/comics studies, Japanese pop
culture studies, and translation theory, it also deals with issues
pertaining to Japanese art, nuclear power and weapons, Buraku and Zainichi
discrimination, Blackness in Japanese visual culture, and the American
military presence in Japan.

https://bubbleszine.bigcartel.com/product/the-translator-without-talent-by-ryan-holmberg

Upon departing for a two-year stint as a Visiting Professor at the
University of Tokyo in 2017, I commenced to document my research findings,
translation troubles, and escapades with aging manga artists in a series of
detailed Instagram posts @mangaberg. Collecting nearly 400 pages’ worth of
behind-the-scenes peeks into the nitty-gritty of manga research—as well as
a never before published manifesto of my musings about comics
translation—THE TRANSLATOR WITHOUT TALENT is a highly personal, tell-all
slog through two-plus years of activity of as a manga scholar. This
genre-defying volume spotlights some of the best and weirdest alt-manga and
gekiga artists, with extended tangents into the politics of nuclear power
and social discrimination in Japan. It is perfect for anyone obsessed with
obscure, amazing, and all-too-frequently retrograde manga, but does not
have the patience to scroll through a lengthy Instagram feed. Published by
the comics and manga fanzine BUBBLES in its first foray away from the xerox
machine.

The print run of this book was relatively small, so any individuals or
libraries interested in obtaining it should act quickly. Also, the
publisher is tiny, so I would appreciate it greatly if you could help
publicize the book by forwarding this announcement to anyone/institution
you think might be interested.

Details: 400 pages, black and white, perfect bound
ISBN: 978-0-578-71429-5

Thank you,
Ryan Holmberg

(Forwarded by Charles Hatfield at Ryan's invitation)

CH