[Comicsstudiessociety] poetry comics?

Brian Cremins brianwcremins at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 16:43:16 EDT 2020

Hi Patrick,

Here are some titles that you might be interested in taking a look at:

John Porcellino often illustrates his own poems or includes illustrated
versions of classic haiku in *King-Cat*. You might start with collections
like *King-Cat Classix*, *Map of My Heart*, or *From Lone Mountain*.

At his distro, Spit and a Half, he also has copies of a collection (without
comics or illustrations) of some of his earlier poetry, *On Ruby Hill*:

https://www.spitandahalf.com/product/on-ruby-hill-by-john-porcellino/

Marnie Galloway's *In the Sounds and Seas* is a wordless adaptation of *The
Odyssey*, very much in the spirit of H.D.'s adaptations of both Sappho and
Homer:

https://marniegalloway.squarespace.com/in-the-sounds-and-seas

Marnie has published work in the poetry journal *Court Green*, which has
also featured asemic comics by Gene Kannenberg, Jr. Editors Tony Trigilio &
David Trinidad have been trying to include more comics in the journal since
making the shift from being a print to an online publication. Here are the
links to those recent issues:

https://courtgreen.net/issue-14/comics

https://courtgreen.net/issue-15/comics

You might also enjoy reading Matt Levin's *Walking Man Comics*, which he's
been creating since the 1980s. In addition to his poetry comics--created
partly with rubber stamps!--he's also done a series of *Musicomics* in
which he illustrates his lyrics:

https://www.facebook.com/Walking-Man-Comics-142371289185184/

And you may also want to read the new collected edition of Katherine
Collins's classic series *Neil the Horse*, which not only includes dance
sequences (sometimes with Fred Astaire himself) but also passages with
original song lyrics being sung by the main characters in the series, Neil,
Soapy the Cat, and Mam'selle Poupee, as they "Make the World Safe for
Musical Comedy":

https://www.conundrumpress.com/new-titles/the-collected-neil-the-horse/

Here is Trina Robbins's recent article on the series from the *Paris Review*
:

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2017/09/20/neil-horse-rides/

I hope you enjoy these, and I look forward to seeing what suggestions
others have.

Have a good weekend!

Brian

Brian Cremins, PhD
(he/him/his)
Professor of English
Harper College
Palatine, IL 60067
Associate Editor, *Inks: The Journal of the Comics Studies Society*
www.brianwcremins.com