[Comicsstudiessociety] [The Middle Spaces]: "There'd Be a Hanging!" - Spontaneous Authenticity and the Fluctuative Quality of Comic Art in Gilbert Hernandez's "Human Diastrophism"

Osvaldo Oyola themiddlespaces at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 12:10:05 EDT 2020

Hi all,

I just wanted to share a link to my latest essay on The Middle Space which
is based on a presentation I gave at MLA2018 on street art/graffiti and
Gilbert Hernandez's "Human Diastrophism" from Love and Rockets. It was for a
panel organized by Nhora Serrano called "Connecting the Dots: Museums and
Comics" and I am pretty sure I am the only one who took the position of
skepticism of comics in museums by making a parallel to street art. I never
ended up developing this into a full article, so I just cleaned it up,
expanding it a bit, and re-shared. The power point I used as part of the
presentation is also available for download through a link on the post.

 <https://themiddlespaces.com/2020/10/13/thered-be-a-hanging/> "There'd Be a
Hanging!" - Spontaneous Authenticity and the Fluctuative Quality of Comic
Art in Gilbert Hernandez's "Human Diastrophism"

Thanks!

- Osvaldo