[Comicsstudiessociety] RIP Cécile Danehy, ICAF pioneer

Charles Hatfield charles.hatfield at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 13:54:55 EDT 2020

Yesterday I learned, very belatedly, of the death of my longtime colleague
and the sometime chair of ICAF, Cécile Danehy, who was a pioneer in comics
studies and one of the persons responsible for sustaining and nurturing
ICAF through a very challenging period of transformation.  Cécile was among
the first scholars recruited to the ICAF Executive Committee (founded in
1997), and no one served longer or worked harder on ICAF's behalf.

I'd like to share what I wrote about Cécile on Facebook yesterday, along
with the tribute written by John Lent that appears in the latest issue of
*IJOCA* (thank you to Gene Kannenberg, Jr., for the photo).

[image: Cecile Danehy obit, in IJOCA.jpg]

I am grieved to learn of the death of Cécile Danehy, my longtime colleague,
whose hard work and good spirits made all the difference to the
International Comic Arts Forum and to comics studies generally. Cécile was
a tireless and generous colleague, and a pillar of ICAF during its
formative years (and well beyond: she served on the ICAF executive board
from 1997 to 2011, and chaired or co-chaired it for several years). She was
also a distinct, funny, energetic person, like nobody else. I feel lucky to
have known her, and crushed by this news, so tardily learned.
Shown here is Cécile's obituary from the latest IJOCA, written by John
Lent. I am so sorry that she is gone. From her birth in Casablanca, to her
childhood in Dijon, to her grad studies at the U of Virginia, to her many
years teaching French language and literature at Wheaton College, she
traced an extraordinary path. Godspeed, Cécile. And thank you for, among
other things, helping keep the dream of ICAF alive.
Belated condolences to her family and everyone in her circles of care. Hugs
to all my fellow ICAF board veterans who had the privilege to work with
Cécile.
Guy Spielmann, Gene Kannenberg, Ana Merino, Jeff Miller, Mark Nevins, Marc
Singer, Craig Fischer, Stanford Carpenter, José Alaniz, Casey Brienza, Mark
Heimermann, Bill Kartalopoulos, Toph Marshall, Qiana Whitted, and many
others. She was our colleague.

Adieu, Cécile; tu as fait toute la différence.

###