[Comicsstudiessociety] [EXTERNAL] Re: Introduction

Jeannie Ludlow jeannieludlow at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 18:38:59 EST 2020

Hi everyone!
This introduction stream has been a welcome blast of community ths week.
Thank you :-)

I am Jeannie Ludlow. I'm prof of English & WGS at Eastern Illinois
University (about an hour south of Champaign). My primary research is in
counternarratives that challenge political discourses, so of course comics
are a wonderful resource for me. I focus on reproductive rights and justice
and abortion experiences. The fabulous Sam Langsdale included one of my
essays in her and Elizabeth Coody's recent collection: Monstrous Women in
Comics. Mostly, however, I find myself bringing comics/graphic texts to
more, umm, conventional feminist spaces. My current work is on
representations of the fetus in abortion stories.

It's great to see all these wonderful projects and resources--very excited
to read The Middle Spaces. I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!
Jeannie

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 1:23 PM Samira Nadkarni via ComicsStudiesSociety <
comicsstudiessociety at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Samira Nadkarni and I teach undergrad English Literature in
> Mumbai, India. While very interested in comic studies, it's not a field I
> know enough about, so it's been lovely to see what people have been or are
> currently working on. I've really enjoyed this set of online introductions
> and I'm now blessed with a whole new list of things I'd like to read now as
> a result (or cursed, since there are only so many hours in the day).
>
> Best Wishes,
> Samira
>
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 at 16:36, Carol Tilley via ComicsStudiesSociety <
> comicsstudiessociety at lists.osu.edu> wrote:
>

>> Hi folks -
>>
>> It's lovely to see this outpouring of community-building on the list!
>>
>> I'm an associate professor in the School of Information Sciences at the
>> University of Illinois. I first started teaching pre-professional
>> librarians about comics in the late-1990s and studying the historical
>> intersections of comics, libraries, and younger readers in the early 2000s.
>> Although I still consider myself a scholar of print culture, my current
>> focus is reclaiming the stories of young people doing things with comics
>> (e.g. cartooning contests, social action, early fan networks, reading) in
>> the early and mid-20th century in the US. My work relies heavily on
>> archival and other primary sources, including interviews as possible.
>>
>> Most of my teaching and a lot of my professional engagement, aims to help
>> educate librarians about comics. For the past decade, I've taught an annual
>> course on reader's advisory for comics (it always fills to capacity) and
>> worked with students who are completing short-term practical placements at
>> the Library of Congress' Newspaper Division (which maintains a portion of
>> the LC's comics-related collections) and the Billy Ireland. This spring,
>> I'll be teaching my first ever undergraduate class - All in the Gutter:
>> Race, Gender, and Sexuality in US Comics - for the honors program here at
>> Illinois.
>>
>> I'm a former president of the Comics Studies Society and had the
>> privilege of hosting the first CSS conference here in Urbana-Champaign in
>> August 2018.
>>
>> Cheers!
>> -Carol
>>

>> *Carol L. Tilley*
>> Associate Professor
>> School of Information Sciences
>> University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>>
>> Chair | UIUC Faculty Advisory Committee
>> Affiliate Faculty, The Center for Writing Studies (CWS)
>> Affiliate Faculty, Gender and Women's Studies (GWS)
>>
>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.caroltilley.net__;!!KGKeukY!lJEH68qEP0y7NuziZyOHaY1Q5k3GS5zs0bQgrTIauiEtOt5a7T9TFEfMAc909gbA0fQPf4nMRrAR$
>> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.caroltilley.net/__;!!KGKeukY!jB4wr1kKS2c3G1cDYCb3rkkrBnX_4teOWJPPz92Ep7-NT5-r36OI95dXE7GWVN8wxx_ejg-18lqw$>
>>  | CarolTilley
> [...]

“Any time we are doing the work of love, we are doing the work of ending
domination.” bell hooks
Jeannie Ludlow, Ph.D.
jeannieludlow at gmail.com
pronouns: she/her/hers
President, EIU-UPI academic union
Professor of English
and Women's, Gender, & Sexuality Studies
Eastern Illinois University
217-317-0309