[Comicsstudiessociety] (another) introduction

Kalervo Sinervo kalervo.sinervo at ucalgary.ca
Tue Nov 17 11:34:53 EST 2020

I love a good bandwagon. I’ve been doing comics studies research since undergrad at Simon Fraser, where I wrote my honour’s thesis on intertextuality, semiotics, and The Sandman. During my MA in English at Concordia, my interests expanded into materiality, as I wrestled with what I found to be inadequacies in adaptation theory to account for network culture. So I ended up writing my Master’s research project on differential media—this time using Watchmen as a narrative assemblage to test my ideas.

In my Interdisciplinary Humanities PhD at Concordia, I started getting interested in digital comics and thinking about users rather than readers. I’ve published a few times on digital comics piracy in Amodern, a chapter in the book Educational, Psychological, and Behavioral Considerations in Niche Online Communities (IGI), as well as a chapter in the upcoming The Comics World from Mississippi. I’ve also done some work on digital comics foundations, with a chapter in Make Ours Marvel (Texas) and another in the recent Comics Studies Guidebook (Rutgers). I served two terms as the VP Communications for the Canadian Society for the Study of Comics/Société canadienne pour l’etude de la bande dessinée<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://comics-scholars.com/wp/__;!!KGKeukY!jJZUMlAeiTjL8Gc2hRqKbEk2TFM6XcwJvQwxfD8OffMhmLKIfLL_ulSnYdA4JMnc4i5ha0ODwuhv$ >, and taught Concordia’s undergraduate graphic novels course for four years.

Outside comics studies, I’m focused on games studies and media industries. I like thinking about dispersed creativity and problematizing the idea of developer “vision.” My dissertation looked at transmedia, videogame spaces, and Gotham City, and I’ve put out a bit of work in this area too. But comics are never out of the picture: most recently, I submitted an article with a co-author on comics and pain language and we’re waiting to hear back from the journal.

I’ve been really lucky to find excellent co-authors to push projects forward, and most of the publications I mentioned above were completed with colleagues, mentors, friends. I find writing collaborations are precious in comics studies, so if you ever want to chat about a project, hit me up. Right now, I’m a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Calgary, working with Bart Beaty—and kind of on loan to Ben Woo over at Carleton, where I’m excited to be doing some research with his team on conventions as I eke out time for the job search and turning my dissertation into a book. In whatever time is left, I’m experimenting with decontextualized comics panels on Twitter as @badpanels<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://twitter.com/BadPanels__;!!KGKeukY!jJZUMlAeiTjL8Gc2hRqKbEk2TFM6XcwJvQwxfD8OffMhmLKIfLL_ulSnYdA4JMnc4i5ha8tF2q0R$ > and making sure we never forget the weird and hilarious stuff in the archives.

Stay safe, stay healthy, stay strong

Kalervo A. Sinervo, PhD (he/him)
FRQSC Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Calgary
badpanels.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://badpanels.com__;!!KGKeukY!jJZUMlAeiTjL8Gc2hRqKbEk2TFM6XcwJvQwxfD8OffMhmLKIfLL_ulSnYdA4JMnc4i5ha3DdgUM8$ >
@kalervideo<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://twitter.com/kalervideo__;!!KGKeukY!jJZUMlAeiTjL8Gc2hRqKbEk2TFM6XcwJvQwxfD8OffMhmLKIfLL_ulSnYdA4JMnc4i5ha6ErG0cd$ >