[Comicsstudiessociety] (another) introduction

Jon Holt joholt at pdx.edu
Mon Nov 16 17:59:27 EST 2020

Hello all,

Since I'm new to the list, let me also make a self-introduction.  I teach
3-4 manga courses at Portland State University as a part of our
upper-division Japanese (JPN) courses.  Although I am trained in modern
Japanese poetry and Japanese Buddhism, I have been working over the past
years to develop skills at analyzing and writing about visual art,
including comics (well, Japanese comics).  In addition to teaching
undergraduates comics I also oversee Master's students writing not only on
topics of Japanese literature but also manga.  So far I've overseen two
theses (one Master's, one Honors) -- and another new student currently is
writing on girls' comics under me.  I'm excited because this quarter I
co-teach a French BD + Japanese manga course with my colleague in a
comparative comics course.

Two publications I'm excited to have out this fall are 2 translated essays
with translators' introductions -- Natsume Fusanosuke's work from *Why Is
Manga So Interesting*? -- co-translated/authored with my former M.A.
student Teppei Fukuda that will appear in IJOCA and U.S.-Japan Women's
Journal -- I'll share those links when they go live.

It's great to be a part of this list and thank you for letting me be here
with you all.
Jon Holt
Associate Professor of Japanese
Portland State University