[Comicsstudiessociety] (another) introduction

Osvaldo Oyola themiddlespaces at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 14:10:31 EST 2020

Since we’re doing introductions:

I am Osvaldo Oyola. I got my PhD in 2014 and then after five years as a lecturer in NYU’s Expository Writing Program (but also teaching an occasional Latinx-American Lit class) I dropped out of the academic job market and moved on. Currently under/unemployed and sans affiliation, but I am still involved in comics scholarship, both through my role in the ICAF executive committee and running The Middle Spaces <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://themiddlespaces.com/__;!!KGKeukY!hTwTAse3uUTWJFbqjQsIpim7ImbBtFej8fHGw1DuVleyOAzJT95VvQvikA8PeIxh5-UoOQgobH7B$ >  – a paying(!) blog for public facing scholarship on (mostly) comics (but also other aspects of pop culture, esp. pop music), work on which won me the Gilbert Seldes Prize from CSS in 2019.

While my field of study was Contemporary Transnational American Lit and identity which included comics (I come from literary studies, but have a strong cultural studies interest), most of my work for the last few years has been pretty much comics focused alone – in particular on representations of race and resistant reading in fan culture.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in maybe submitting to The Middle Spaces you can check out our submit page: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://themiddlespaces.com/submit/__;!!KGKeukY!hTwTAse3uUTWJFbqjQsIpim7ImbBtFej8fHGw1DuVleyOAzJT95VvQvikA8PeIxh5-UoOc4ze-vt$  and check out our past guest writers here to see you’d be in good company: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://themiddlespaces.com/guest-writers/__;!!KGKeukY!hTwTAse3uUTWJFbqjQsIpim7ImbBtFej8fHGw1DuVleyOAzJT95VvQvikA8PeIxh5-UoOUxM8jfu$

- OO