[Comicsstudiessociety] IJOCA animation review book available WORLDWIDE - The LEGO Movie

Sean Hadley sean.hadley at faulkner.edu
Fri Nov 6 13:35:44 EST 2020

HI Mike,

I would love to review it.

Sean Hadley
sean.hadley at faulkner.edu
+1 (850) 449-0964

*“There are some things which cannot be learned quickly, and time, which is
all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring.” – Ernest Hemingway,
Death in The Afternoon*

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 11:53 AM Mike Rhode via ComicsStudiesSociety <
comicsstudiessociety at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> As usual, first to respond to me gets the review opportunity. In the US,
> we can have a hardcopy sent to you, but I have a pdf for worldwide
> reviewers.
>
> If you get it done by early Dec it will be in the next physical issue of
> the journal.
>
> Mike Rhode
> mrhode at gmail.com
> ----------
> In this first book on *The LEGO Movie*, renowned film and TV scholar Dana
> Polan shows how, through irony, savvy self-awareness, and knowingness about
> the culture industry, the blockbuster animated film makes for essential
> cinema.
>

> What happens when we set out to understand LEGO not just as a physical
> object but as an idea, an icon of modernity, an image—maybe even a moving
> image? To what extent can the LEGO brick fit into the multimedia landscape
> of popular culture, especially film culture, today? Launching from these
> questions, Dana Polan traces LEGO from thing to film and asserts that *The
> LEGO Movie* is an exemplar of key directions in mainstream cinema,
> combining the visceral impact of effects and spectacle with ironic
> self-awareness and savvy critique of mass culture as it reaches for new
> heights of creativity.
>
> Incorporating insights from conversations with producer Dan Lin and
> writer-directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller, Polan examines the production
> and reception of *The LEGO Movie* and closely analyzes the film within
> popular culture at large and in relation to LEGO as a toy and commodity. He
> identifies the film’s particular stylistic and narrative qualities, its
> grasp of and response to the culture industry, and what makes it a
> distinctive work of animation within the seeming omnipresence of animation
> in Hollywood, and reveals why the blockbuster film, in all its silliness
> and seriousness, stands apart as a divergent cultural work.
>
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://utexas.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=af878bb055ac8d7c49a6a1cd7&id=6ca4c00508&e=8aa739d7e4__;!!KGKeukY!jdDqBZ1c7rKz7UFvGqG_kl7XjJK_NRxdGTtJ3WilJFSRMI8Y0rpIpBGqfrC3ieLIH8Up2KEW42tV$>
>
> $21.95, Paperback
> 978-1-4773-2157-7
>
> PUBLICATION DATE:
> *10 November 2020*
>
> ------------------------------
>
> *
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://utexas.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=af878bb055ac8d7c49a6a1cd7&id=a78b5ecb20&e=8aa739d7e4__;!!KGKeukY!jdDqBZ1c7rKz7UFvGqG_kl7XjJK_NRxdGTtJ3WilJFSRMI8Y0rpIpBGqfrC3ieLIH8Up2AhOBsb2$>*
>
> ------------------------------
>
> *Dana Polan *is a professor of cinema studies in the Tisch School of the
> Arts at New York University and former president of the Society for Cinema
> Studies. He is the author of eight books in film and media studies,
> including *The Sopranos* and *Pulp Fiction*, and approximately two
> [...]

and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If
you have received this email in error please notify the
system manager. Please
note that any views or opinions presented in this
email are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those
of the company. Finally, the
recipient should check this email and any
attachments for the presence of
viruses. The company accepts no liability
for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this email.