[Comicsstudiessociety] Disability in Comics seminar: readings, resources you'd recommend?

Charles Hatfield charles.hatfield at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 17:29:37 EDT 2020

Thanks, Adrienne!

PS. I used *Hawkeye* #19 in the course last time, and plan for my students
to read that comic this time, too; it's so teachable! But I decided to swap
out the image from *Hawkeye *#19 I had used on the course flyer last time,
due to concern that calling deafness a "disability" is question-begging, or
even could come across as contentious. I do have several readings planned
around hard-of-hearing or deaf characters, some with Deaf culture, but I'm
not sure I want to "lead" with an image of deafness in the flyer. OTOH, the
flyer I sent to the list just now has its own problems: the image there
(from *The Oracle Code*) doesn't seem to register the way I want it to,
when taken from context. I've attached here another pass at the flyer,
using a different image from the same book.

One problem is trying to connote "disability" in a flyer in a visual but
not exploitative way (cue disability scholars' remarks about visuality and
disability). This latest version again uses wheelchair imagery, which I
think is okay in this context (but belies the fact that a number of
readings in the course will focus on "invisible" disabilities).

CH