[Comicsstudiessociety] Query: Scholarship on Alberto Breccia

Charles Hatfield charles.hatfield at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 20:20:50 EST 2020

Here as promised are the combined results of keyword searches I did today
for "Breccia" in both the MLA International Bibliography and the Bonn
Online Bibliography of Comics Research (https://www.bobc.uni-bonn.de/).
Feel free to jettison this message if you don't have a research interest in
Alberto Breccia!

I have tried to place all entries in current MLA style. I took the liberty
of cutting one or two entries that seemed to be duplicates, or
untrustworthy. I have also added here one online journal article I found on
my own (Palacios). I have not listed here the several recent books
mentioned in my last post, nor the results of my still-ongoing searches via
the online Comics Research Bibliography (
http://homepages.rpi.edu/~bulloj/comxbib.html) and the various
bibliographies compiled by John Lent and/or Mike Rhode.

CH

Abel, Guy. “Le Mise En Image de La Nouvelle Acuérdate de Juan Rulfo:
Spectacle Du Souvenir et Paradoxe de l’oubli.” *Cahiers de l’ILCEA*, vol.
10, 2008, pp. 205–214.

Arnold, Heinz Ludwig, and Andreas C. Knigge. *Comics, Mangas, Graphic
Novels*. Edition text + kritik, 2009.

Baetens, Jan. "History Against the Grain? On the Relationship Between
Visual Aesthetics and Historical Interpretation in the Contemporary Spanish
Graphic Novel." *Rethinking History* , vol. 6, 2002, pp. 345–356.

--- . “Choses Vues: Du Regard En Fantastique.” *Image [&] Narrative*, vol.
2, 2001.

---. *Formes et politique de la bande dessinée*. Peeters, 1998.

Breccia, Patricia, and Elizabeth Polli. “Remembrances of My Father, Alberto
Breccia.” *International Journal of Comic Art*, vol. 11, no. 1, 2009, pp.
80–89.

Capalbo, Armando. “Espacios de La Transposición Cuento/Historieta: ‘El Fin’
(Borges, Breccia, Sasturain).” *Primeras Jornadas Internacionales de
Literatura Argentina/Comparística: Actas*, edited by Teresita Frugoni de
Fritzsche, Facultad de Filosofía y Letras, Universidad de Buenos Aires,
1996, pp. 13–18.

Feierstein, Ricardo. "Estereotipos y racimso en la historieta
argentina." *Bilderwelten
– Textwelten – Comicwelten*. *Romanistische Begegnungen mit der Neunten
Kunst*, edited by Frank Leinen und Guido Rings, Meidenbauer, 2007, pp.
163–186.

Foster, David William. *El Eternauta, Daytripper, and Beyond: Graphic
Narrative in Argentina and Brazil*. University of Texas Press, 2016.

García-Huidobro, Julio Guitérrez. “Las Formas de Lo Indecible: Algunas
Representaciones Del Horror Lovecraftiano En Las Adaptaciones de Alberto
Breccia.” *Brumal: Revista de Investigación Sobre Lo Fantástico/Research
Journal on the Fantastic*, vol. 7, no. 1, 2019, pp. 107–133.

Giromini, Ferruccio. “E Borges Diventa Un Eroe a Fumetti.” *Stampa:
Tuttolibri*, vol. 14, no. 589, Jan. 1988, p. 5.

Groensteen, Thierry. "Le cadavre tombé de rien ou la troisième qualité du
scénariste." *Revue de l’Université de Bruxelles*, vols. 1–2, 1986, pp.
111–118.

--- . *Lignes de vie. Le visage dessiné*. Mosquito, 2003.

Grünewald, Dietrich. “Alberto Breccia: *Das Verräterische Herz*: Eine
Comic-Adaption Nach Edgar Allan Poe.” *Comic Und Literatur: Konstellationen*,
edited by Monika Schmitz-Emans, Walter de Gruyter, Inc., 2012, pp. 50–66.

--- . "Realismo mágico. Zur Erzählweise Alberto Breccias." *Comics, Mangas,
Graphic Novels*, edited by Arnold and Knigge, Edition text + kritik, 2009,
pp. 158–175.

Hieger, Marc. “Erich Maria Remarques Roman *Im Westen Nichts Neues *in Der
Comic-Adaption von Alberto Winston Breccia.” *Eine Zensur Findet (Nicht)
Statt*, edited by Carl-Heinrich Bösling et al., Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht,
2019, pp. 125–154.

Magnussen, Anne. "Imagining the dictatorship, Argentina 1981 to 1982." *Visual
Communication, *vol. 5, 2006, pp. 323–344.

Marcelé, Philippe. "Alberto Breccia, ‘l’humoriste sanglant’." *MEI*, vol.
26, 2007, pp. 171–182.

Martinez, Luciana. “En Busca Del Lenguaje Del Horror: H. P. Lovecraft Según
Alberto Breccia.” *Extravío: Revista Electrónica de Literatura Comparada*,
vol. 4, 2009, pp. 18–32.

Moraes, Diego. “Experiencias Postcoloniales En El Cómic Del Río de La Plata
(I): La Muerte de Solís En ‘Paco Del Puerto,’ de Ferro y Breccia.”
*Confluencia:
Revista Hispánica de Cultura y Literatura*, vol. 25, no. 1, 2009, pp. 57–77.

Nanni, Susanna. “Rappresentazioni e (in)Traducibilità Del Delirio: Informe
Sobre Ciegos Di Alberto Breccia.” *Confluenze: Rivista Di Studi
Iberoamericani*, vol. 7, no. 1, 2015, pp. 260–280.

Palacios, Cristián. "La representación de la violencia de estado en un
episodio de *Buscavidas* de Carlos Trillo y Alberto Breccia." *Amérique
Latine Histoire et Mémoire: Les Cahiers ALHIM*, 30 | 2015, 20 Jan. 2016.

Rommens, Aaroud. “Allegories of Graphiation: Alberto Breccia’s
Counter-Censorial Versions of E. A. Poe’s Valdemar.” *Transforming Anthony
Trollope: Dispossession, Victorianism and Nineteenth-Century Word and Image*,
edited by Simon Grennan and Laurence Grove, Leuven University Press, 2015,
pp. 199–216.

--- . "C Stands for Censorship. “’Dirty War’ Comics, Camouflage and
*Buscavidas*." *Image [&] Narrative* 6.2, 2005.

--- . “Memory in Camouflage: Alberto Breccia and Guillermo Saccomanno’s
‘William Wilson’ as Catalyst for Memory.” *Poetics Today*, vol. 26, no. 2,
2005, pp. 305–347.

--- . "To Draw or Not to Draw: Alberto Breccia and the Ethos of Reading."
*SubStance*, vol. 46 no. 2, 2017, p. 166-185.

Samson, Jacques. "L’autre texte." *La Transécriture. Pour une théorie de
l’adaptation*, edited by André Gaudreault and Thierry Groensteen, Nota
bene, 1998, pp. 233–248.

Sarlo, Giulia de. “Informe Sobre Ciegos: De La Narración de Ernesto Sabato
a La Alucinación Gráfica de Alberto Breccia.” *Confluenze: Rivista Di Studi
Iberoamericani*, vol. 7, no. 1, 2015, pp. 305–350.

Scorer, James. “Comics and the Slaughterhouse: Alberto Breccia and the
Neighbourhood of Mataderos.” *Journal of Urban Cultural Studies*, vol. 5,
no. 3, 2018, pp. 281–297.

--- . "Man, myth and sacrifice. Graphic biographies of Ernesto ‘Che’
Guevara." *Journal of Graphic Novels and Comics*, vol. 1, 2010, pp.
137–150.

Tirino, Mario. “Gothic Clouds and Threatening Shadows: Edgar Allan Poe and
the Comics—A Sociocultural Analysis.” *Edgar Allan Poe across Disciplines,
Genres and Languages*, edited by Linda Barone and Alfonso Amendola,
Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2018, pp. 215–223.

Wörtche, Thomas. "Die Verweigerung von Eindeutigkeit. Der argentinische
Zeichner Alberto Breccia und sein Beitrag zur Ästhetik des 20.
Jahrhunderts." *Das Mörderische neben dem Leben. Ein Wegbegleiter durch die
Welt der Kriminalliteratur*. CulturBooks, 2014.

###