[Comicsstudiessociety] Publication on Ms.Marvel in The Conversation Canada

Orion Kidder orionuk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 20:31:39 EST 2020

Interesting piece! I think you’re sounding a reasonable alarm, here. The
character has avoided stereotype when she’s depicted by people *in *the
Muslim community.

I’d add, btw, that while Wilson is a white convert rather than having been
raised in a Muslim community, the assistant editor and co-creator of the
character, Sana Amanat, is a Pakistani-American Muslim from New Jersey. I
get the sense she was the template for Kamala Khan in a lot of ways. So
that just proves your point.

Mark Waid is an interesting figure, too. He’s a solidly liberal person and
very sensitive to the abuse of children having had some traumatic
experiences as a kid (the details of which he doesn’t tend to volunteer).
Despite what I have reason to believe were good intentions, I take your
point that he perpetuated the racist trope of rescuing Muslim women from
Muslim men using Kamala as a proxy for white men doing the rescuing.

The good news is that the head writer for the show, Bisha K. Ali, would
appear to have the kind of insight you’re talking about: a woman of
mid-eastern descent (I haven’t been able to figure out which communities
she might specifically belong to) with loads of comedy/writing experience,
and a dedicated gamer nerd. Seems like they got the whole package!
Honestly, I’m pretty encouraged by all of that.

(source:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/nov/16/i-feel-joy-bisha-k-ali-struggling-standup-ms-marvel-maestro-muslim-superhero__;!!KGKeukY!gU7sWgixidxuozDatwEk-D9bxh4sQFeIVlXMF-bjQmwv4WBq5edBLUf2ZEw2bSzv9gUTrj1vkq-M$
)

– Orion

On December 1, 2020 at 3:41:40 PM, Safiyya H via ComicsStudiesSociety (