[Comicsstudiessociety] Query: How to approach teaching a Miyazaki course?

Charles Hatfield charles.hatfield at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 15:15:47 EDT 2019

Dear CSS colleagues,

This is a pedagogically-oriented query related to Hayao Miyazaki, Studio
Ghibli, and Japanese anime and manga more generally. It pertains to my
teaching at CSU Northridge in greater Los Angeles.

I have an opportunity to build, for Spring 2020, a Pop Culture topics
course around the work and reception of Miyazaki. I hope this class will
coincide with the opening of LA’s long-expected Academy Museum of Motion
Pictures in, presumably, early 2020, which is to feature a temporary
exhibition about Miyazaki:

https://www.academymuseum.org/en/exhibitions/hayao-miyazaki

In the course, we would look at Miyazaki (and more generally anime) fandom,
watch a number of his films, read his *Nausicaa* manga (apparently still in
print in English translation), perhaps look at examples of his (IMO very
considerable) influence, and consider some of the broad philosophical,
ecological, and moral themes, and gender and age studies issues, that his
work tends to raise.

May I ask, have any of you had experience teaching Miyazaki anime or manga,
and/or do any of you have ideas or recommendations re: relevant critical
work or teaching strategies? Would any of you care to join me, perhaps
offlist, say in a Google group or similar environment, in a discussion of
how Miyazaki might be taught?

I should explain that my backgrounds are in comics studies, children’s
literature studies, SF/Fantasy, and adaptation studies, with a lifelong
interest but only occasional teaching experience in animation. I am, sadly,
unable to read or speak Japanese. I have not taught a whole manga or
anime-themed course before, though I have often taught isolated works of
manga in, e.g., intro to comics classes. I have only beginning knowledge of
English-language critical sources specifically related to Miyazaki. So
that’s what I’m bringing to the table.

Any recommendations? Or desires to be part of this discussion? I’d love to
have the benefit of your collective experience and wisdom.

CH