exp 16 question - mass added and total mass

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 23 22:49:01 EDT 2022

I've often receive essentially the same questions regarding exp 16 and it's pre-lab.
I got a question just a few moments ago about this.

They deal with the mass of sample added and the total mass of sample. This
will also apply during the exp, the report and the post-lab. Also, I get questions
about sig. fig.  I'll send that in a follow-up e-mail.

If you look at the procedure you'll see you first determine the f.p. of the pure
cyclohexane (solvent).  Then you start adding solute, which lowers the f.p.  How
much the f.p. drops depends on the amount of solute present.  For each of the
trials in part B you will add some solute.  In Trial 1 you add about 0.1 g and
take the f.p. of this solution.  Then for Trial 2 you ADD ~ 0.1 g more solute. Thus,
the TOTAL mass of solute will be ~ 0.2 g.  Then in Trial 3 you add another ~0.1 g
of solute.  You will then have a total of ~0.3 g of solute in trial three.  In each of the
trials you need to calculate the molality of the solute in the solution.  To do this you
need the TOTAL mass in each trial in order to calculate the TOTAL moles of solute
in each trial.

Dr. Zellmer