Section 13.5 and osmotic pressure, colloids

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 23 10:37:01 EDT 2022

I sometimes get e-mail about whether you have to read the section on osmotic
pressure.  Of course you do.  You have to understand what it is and the
eqn associated with it and how to use that eqn.

You don't have to understand how it relates to living systems (in terms of what
solutions of different conc. do to living cells and what the terms crenation and
hemolysis mean).  That's a small part of that section.   It's interesting but you're
not responsible for it.  I mentioned it briefly in lecture just as an FYI sort of thing.

We are covering colloids.  You should know what they are and how they differ
from solutions.  Also, what's the difference between hydrophilic and hydrophobic
colloids and how the latter are stabilized so they stay dispersed.

Dr. Zellmer