exp 1 - report, graphing, report questions, etc. - NOT READY

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jan 22 14:08:44 EST 2022

I've received several questions concerning exp 1 report so I decided to send
something to everyone.  I know some of you have already done exp 1 but this
should still help.  There's a few things I've already e-mailed out, particularly
about the notebook, but are included here again.

1) There was no report for exp 0 (ZER).  There are reports for all the remaining exps.

    Some of what's below was in a previous e-mail.  You'll find information about what
    goes in a report in general in the manual (see the CAK example starting on page
    "xiv") and the following link,

    OSU Chemistry Undergraduate Laboratory Server - Very useful<https://uglabs.cbc.osu.edu/>

    There you will find a Chem 1250 link and once there you will find several useful links
    about lab skills, lab notebook and report.  I do have links to the Notebook and Report
    pages at this site and my "Laboratory" link and below.  There's also info about the
    notebook and report in Appendices A and B of the manual.

2) All the reports are FULL reports exp the ones for exp 7.

     If you want to know what a FULL report is, look at the following two links,

        Chem Lab Report - Departmental Guidelines for Writing a Lab Report<https://uglabs.cbc.osu.edu/gc-labreport/>

        Lab Report Format - My Lab Report Example (outline)<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/chem1250/lab/chem1250_sample_lab_report.pdf>

        The 2nd one is my summary of what it should look like with what should go into
        each section.  It is a little more up to date in that for most labs there are no report
        questions to answer in the manual.  Some reports have Discussion and
        Conclusion sections and some have only questions you answer.

        For exps 1-6, 12 and 23 there are report questions you are suppose to answer
        and include with the report. This is in lieu of a Discussion and Conclusion section.
        There are report question templates in Carmen you can download to make this
        process easier.  You can find a link for them in the main experiment module.

        For exp 7 you will just be handing in a cover page, a graph, some pages from the
        lab manual and a single sample calculation. This is explained at the "Laboratory"
        link and the TA will explain it in lab at that time. There is a template you MUST
        use for this.

        Other reports will have Discussion and Conclusion sections.

    a) The procedure section in the report is simply a bibliographic reference unless
        you made any changes.  We do NOT want any details of the procedure in the
        report.  Any changes you make should go in this section below the bibliographic
        reference.  Also, for exp 1, since the way you used each type of glassware is
        important to the results you should have written this down in your notebook during
        lab and include it in this section (i.e. did you use a 5-mL pipet 4 times for the 20 mL
        or did you use a 10-mL pipet 2 times).

4) Each week you must have your notebook prepared when you walk into lab.
    The TA will come around the lab in the first 10 minutes or so and check to
    see if you have the notebook prepared.  If not, you can loose up to 6 pts
    depending on how much you have done.

    Any data you take in lab or anything you do related to the exp should go in
    the notebook.  Do NOT write in the manual or on another sheet of paper or
    anywhere else (even if you intend to copy it over to the notebook later).
    You will lose points for doing so.

    Record values to the correct sig. fig. and include units.  Use tables when possible.

    Always in PEN. Use BLACK or BLUE ink. If you make a mistake put a
    single line through it and write the correct data next to it. Do NOT use whiteout,
    scribble over the mistake or erase it. Again, if using an iPad for the notebook
    treat it as if it's a physical notebook. This means write in the notebook and do
    NOT erase mistakes. Do what was just explained as if you're using paper.

    The TA will grade your notebook (worth 10 pts) and tell you how to improve it.

    You submit it to Carmen before leaving lab.  There's a module for doing this for
    each exp.  Following the directions for file type and naming convention.

5) Exp 1 report

    a) Write a full report.

    b) Go to the "Helpful Tidbits" link on my class web page (not Carmen) and you will find
        a link for exp 1 which should help with the lab itself and the report.

            Helpful Tidbits for 1250<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/chem1250/faq/faq_1250.htm>

    c) You will be making 4 graphs, one for each piece of glassware using the data from
        the table. That's pretty much all you need from the table for the graphs. You will be
        comparing your density from the graphs to that obtained from the data in the table.
        You'll be using them to answer some questions.

        Graph mass (y) vs. volume (x). Make sure the graph occupies the whole piece of paper
        and spread the data out (good use of the axis) so it takes up most of the space of the graph.
        Don't make the labels and titles huge (14 point font for graph title, 12 point font for axes
        tittles, 10 pt font for axes labels). I have examples of good graphs at the link below. The
        first graph isn't the best example since it doesn't take up the full page because I had to
        shrink it so I could write on it at the top and bottom. This graphs shows you choose points
        from the best-fit line for use in your sample calculations for slope (not your actual data
        points). The 2nd graph is a better example of what a graph should look like. It also shows
        an example of when you have more than one set of data plotted. In that case you need
        a legend and you can bring the legend inside the graph area to allow the graph to
        spread out and occupy the whole page. You don't need a legend when there's only
        one set of data plotted (as for each graph in exp 1) since your title should indicate what's
        being plotted. For most of the graphs this semester you only need a few grid lines (except
        for exp 6 graphs). Also, Excel's default orientation is Landscape and that generally is
        the best for graphs. For exp 6 you'll see that Portrait mode is the proper orientation.

        Sample Graphs<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/sample_graphs.pdf>

        There's also a link you can use to help get you started with Excel if you've never
        used it before.  It's a simple example for a density graph.  This is similar to what you
        are doing in exp 1 but not exactly the same.  Go to the following link and you will find
        this, along with other useful links.

        Using MS Excel for Reports<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/excel/excel.htm>

        Many of my examples use an older version of Excel (Excel 2003).  I have a link
        explaining the major differences between it and the newer versions.  Again, click tabs,
        right-click, etc. and explore what it can do and where to find things.  There are Excel
        tutorials and videos all over the web (YouTube, Microsoft's web site).  If you aren't
        sure about how to do something after looking for help please ask me.

    d) You will use the graphs to answer some of the report questions. What is the density
        from the graph and how does it compare to the average from the table? How does
        determinate and indeterminate error show up on the graph? What should the intercept
        be and why might your intercept not agree with this theoretical value? Include all 4
        graphs in the report. Remember, 1 graph per page. How do the results from your table
        compare to the results from the graphs? Which produces better values for the density?

    e) The last question deals with error. You must understand what is inherent error and that
        it is not human error. It is described on page 11 of the lab manual.

I'm will be sending a follow-up e-mail with a few more specifics about exp 1 data and graphs.

I hope this and my on-line help file address the majority of your questions.  If not, ask.

Dr. Zellmer