Exp 6 (CAL) help

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 9 10:12:31 EST 2022

We're doing exp 6 (CAL) this week.  There is a pre-lab for this week and
data-entry due when the report is due.

I have help files for exp 6.  Look at the class web page (not Carmen).
Look at "Helpful Tidbits" and the "Laboratory" links.  You will find several
files and a good bit of help for this exp and what you should do with the
graphs.  Your TA will go over what to do in Part A for determining the
heat capacity of the coffee cup.  I also describe this at the "Laboratory"
link.  The TA will discuss some of this as well in lab.

Use Excel for to do your calculations and graphs for the report.  You
still have to show sample calculations.  For the report you will find a
link for a Word doc for the report questions and a link for an Excel file
for the report form in Carmen.  More on this in another e-mail.

I also have examples of what your graph should look like, both before
and after you've drawn your lines.  You can draw the lines by going to
"Insert" and "shapes" and there's a line-drawing tool.  This line can be
manipulated so you can get a pretty good best-fit line, probably better
than one you would draw by hand.  If you can't figure out how to do
this in Excel ask the TAs or me.  While it can be done, it is not easy to
do best-fit lines for this data and get them to come out correctly.  I won't
go into explaining why or how to overcome that.  It's not necessary.

For exp 6 graphs you want the temperature on the y-axis and you want
to put that on the LONG side of your graph.  This means when using
Excel you need to tell it to put things in PORTRAIT mode.  The default in
Excel is Landscape, which is usually the better graph mode and what we
really want for all exps, except for exp 6.  For this one you want to use
PORTRAIT mode.  See my help files where I've explained this.  You want
to spread out your axes as much as possible, especially the temp. axis
since that's more accurate than your time.  You need lots of grid lines
because you will be reading the T_i and T_f from the graph.  See my
example graph.  If you do this correctly you will be able to gain 1 s.f. for
T_i and T_f  obtained from your graphs.

Do NOT take a scan or picture of the graphs and put them in the report.
They will be given zero credit.  The ONLY thing you can scan and include
in the report are the sample calculations.

I often get a lot of questions about the mass of NaOH in part B.  You
calculate the mass of NaOH from the volume of NaOH (10.00 mL) and
the density (given in the data analysis section on page 39 of the manual).

Exp 6 - Using Excel for Exp 6<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/chem1250/faq/exp6_excel.txt>

Exp 6 - Example of a decent graph<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/chem1250/lab/exp6_partA_graph.pdf>

Exp 6 - Example of a decent finished graph with best-fit lines<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/chem1250/lab/exp6_partA_finished.pdf>

Dr. Zellmer