Exp 5 - Is my molar mass reasonable?

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Sun Feb 6 12:00:44 EST 2022

I always get the following question:

"How can one compare the experimental molar mass to the actual molar
mass and if I'm right or not if I don't know what the acid was?"

You can't actually compare it to the true molar mass because you don't know
what it is.  The question asks "Is the molar mass of the acid reasonable
for an acid which is fairly soluble in water"?

Well, think about it.  Would a MM of 20 g/mol make sense?  This would be
a very small compound, most likely a gas at room temp (O2 has a MM of
32 g/mol).  Most small molecules are gases or liquids at room temp.
The larger molecules get the more likely they would be solids at room temp.
If they get too large they wouldn't be soluble.  Sugar molecules like glucose,
C6H12O6, are very soluble in water.  Starch which is a whole lot of glucose
molecules attached to each other to form what's essentially a polymer isn't
as soluble.

KHP from the manual is a monoprotic acid that is fairly soluble in water.
You used it in part A.  Look at it's molar mass.  Based on this do you think
the MM for you acid is a reasonable number for an acid that dissolves fairly
well in water.

Dr. Zellmer