Quizzes and Exams - constants, conversion factors, periodic table, equations, etc.

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 20 15:30:49 EST 2023

I've been receiving questions about this.

For quizzes and exams you get a periodic table page.  It may also
have some constants.

I don't usually give equations for quizzes since you can use your notes
or the book.  On exams we give some equations but not all (usually the
easiest most used eqns aren't given).  The "Key Equations" section at
the end of each chapter can help you with the equations used in the
chapter.

You need to know common relationships such as:

1 ft = 12 in
1 yd = 3 ft
l lb = 16 oz (dry oz)
1 cup = 8 oz (liquid oz)
1 pint = 2 cup
1 qt = 4 cup
1 gal = 4 qt
etc.

The only US to metric unit you need to remember is:

1 in = 2.54 cm (exact by definition)

We will give you other US to metric conversions.

You need to remember the 6 metric relationships you probably learned
in Chem 1210 (kilo, deci, centi, milli, micro, nano).  Mega- is another
common one.

Remember, conversions w/in a system are exact since the conversion
factors are defined quantities.

Dr. Zellmer