recitation policies and asking questions during recitations

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 16 10:51:02 EST 2023

Here's a few comments about recitation.  The TAs should have
mentioned these last week.  I've mentioned most of this elsewhere.

1)  There should be a sign-in sheet at the TA's desk.  When you come
      in you sign in using first name and last.# (Bob Zellmer.1).  If you
      sign-in before the start of class you don't have to write the arrival
      time.  If you are late you need to include what time you signed in.
      Attendance during each recitation period is worth 10 pts max.  An
      appropriate deduction will apply if you're late or leave early.

2)  Come prepared to ask questions and participate.  To that end,
      if possible, e-mail your questions to your TA the day before
      prior to 6 PM.  This way the TA can look at the questions and
      prepare things covering your specific questions.  This will be
      particularly useful if they see several people have the same
      question (which is often the case) and will then prioritize that
      question.  That's why you should not be embarrassed to ask
      questions in recitation, lab or class.  Generally, if one person
      asks a question there's several others with the same question
      who are too shy to ask.  Besides, I've had some really
      interesting questions over 30 years which I might not have
      thought to discuss and proved helpful to students.

      Your TA may ask you to use an alternative method (such as
      Google Docs) for providing questions prior to recitation.

      This doesn't mean if you haven't e-mailed a question the day
      before you can't ask it.  Of course you can.  However, doing
      this may make things go a little faster and you'll get more
      questions answered.  This will help to get the most we possibly
      can out of the review portions of recitation.  I'm sure the TAs
      will appreciate it as well. Missing the 6 PM deadline of the day
      before may simply mean the TA may not get to prepare something
      before recitation which will answer your particular questions.

3)  You really need to have about 90% of your questions answered before
      recitation by going to the TA office hours or asking me.  You can not
      walk in without having tried most of the homework (at least the
      EOCEs) and expect the TA to be able to cover all the possible material
      for the quiz the following Sunday.  There's just not enough time for that.
      Besides, even if they did you wouldn't remember it well enough to do
      well on the quiz. Even if they went over a question on the quiz you
      probably wouldn't get it if you hadn't tried it ahead of time or after the
      recitation.

Dr. Zellmer