rounding, sig. fig., etc.

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Thu Jan 12 09:00:22 EST 2023

I've always get questions about sig. fig., rounding (whether
I use the special "round even" rule, etc.).  I have several links I
use for 1250, 1210 and 1220 dealing with these topics.  You
will find 1220 links at the "Helpful Tidbits" link for Chem 1220,

Helpful Tidbits for 1220<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/chem1220/faq/faq_1220.htm>

I use the round-even rule when getting rid of an exact 5 or 5 followed
by zeros.  If you don't know what that is, don't worry about it.  We
won't be using it.  The answers in the back of the textbook and
solutions manual do not use the round-even rule.  It's not used
on quizzes or exams.

Do NOT use the round-even rule for the lab pre-labs, report quizzes,
quizzes, exams, homework, etc.  Mastering and Carmen don't follow
this rule.

You still may find these files useful, especially if you don't remember
sig. fig. rules or had trouble with them the first time around.

There's also a link dealing with s.f. for logarithms which you will need
to understand for several experiments and lecture material.  You should
make sure you understand this before the BAR exp.  Sig. fig. for logs can
be tricky at first but are easier than you think.  We will be using logarithms
starting in ch 14 and then again in other chapters.

These are just some of the useful links there and I may be adding more
(if I do I'll let you know).  Take a look to see what's there.  Also, look at
the one for 1210, which has additional links for first semester chemistry.

Helpful Tidbits for 1210<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/chem1210/faq/faq_1210.htm>

Dr. Zellmer