MasteringChemistry - Credit/Noncredit

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jan 11 21:14:13 EST 2023

I know some of you have used Mastering previously.  However, there
are people taking classes who haven't used it before.  Also, I may have
set it up differently than you experienced in other chemistry courses.
I hope the following helps.

Please remember, the "assigned" end-of-chapter (EOC) problems are
NOT for credit (just practice).  Mastering is being used for online
homework and credit (although not everything there is for credit).
There are a few things which are due this week, but only the Ch 11 review
set is for credit.  I've explained this in a previous e-mail.  The problem
sets due next weekend are already available.

People ask how to tell which things on Mastering are for credit and
which aren't.  I've mentioned this elsewhere but it's good to see it again.
You can tell in MC in a variety of ways.  Hopefully, the following will help.

Mastering uses symbols and colors for various types of assignments.
There are two viewing formats you can use, Calendar and List.

In the calendar format assignments show up as different symbols/colors
(explained in detail below).  If there's several of them on a particular day
it shows there's more (e.g. "+5 more").  When you click on an assignment
you should see information about the assignment at the top, such as the
name, due date, number of items and the and the estimated time required
(I've found from past classes the time it takes is closer to the low end of
the range shown or even less).  Then click on the link for a problem.  It
will show if there are points associated with the questions.  The calendar
format makes it easy to see what days assignments are due in one screen.
At least to me, it is the better way to view what's due and when.

In the list format assignments show up as different symbols/colors on
the left with the name of the assignment.  To the right you'll see the due
date and time and the number of items and estimated time required.

Also, when you click on one of the problem sets it should show if it has
points associated with it.  If it does, then you know it's for credit.

Mastering is generally due on Friday and Saturday.  They're usually
available for a week before the final due dates.  That may not be the
case for the last bit of homework at the end of the semester.

For Credit:

For these assignments I've tried to put them in the order of the
sections in the book and as done in class, as much as possible.
Again, these will generally be due on Friday and Saturday pretty
much every week until the end of the semester.  Plan on it.

Tutorials:

Have "Tutorials" in assignment name.  These show up as a
purple + (plus) sign and as a purple box on the due date once
they're available.  I don't believe you can see them in the
calendar format if they haven't been released yet.

In the list format you'll see "Tutorials" in the name and it
also has a purple + sign.

Once they're available, they're also in a purple box, at least in
the calendar format.

Homework Review:

Have "Homework Review" in the name.  These show up as a
blue circle in both the calendar and list formats.  Once they're
available they're also in a blue box in the calendar format.

NOT for Credit:  Show up as zero points.

Exam Prep Questions:

These are the Exam Prep problems which are at the end of the chapter,
before the EOC exercises.  The "due" date for these will be scheduled
for the night before the exam.  This will give you additional practice for
each exam.  You can do them after finishing a chapter and do them
again before the exam in Mastering or just wait until before the exam.

These have an orange square symbol and are shaded orange when
they become available.  These are set up in the Quiz category but are
for practice and are NOT for credit and have this in the titles.  For
example, you'll see something like the following as a title:
"Ch 13 Exam Prep Questions - NOT FOR CREDIT ".

All this has been set up so you can access it throughout the semester,
even if past the due date.  For the for-credit Tutorials and Homework
Review sets, if it's past the due date you can still do them, but you
won't get any credit.

That's about it, for now.

Dr. Zellmer