Syllabus - audio/video presentation

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 9 18:41:43 EST 2023

Finally!  The video presentation of the syllabus on my personal class web
page (not Carmen) is up.  I apologize it wasn't done.  I went to do it
Saturday night after getting the syllabi from the office but my iPad went
belly up after updating it.  When it restored nothing was there, as if it
were brand new.  Luckily, I had a backup on my computer but had to
move a bunch of files to create enough disk space on my computer and
then was able to restore the iPad but it took about 1.5 days.

Syllabus - Video Presentation<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/chem1220/syl_video.htm> <https://cbc-wb01x.chemistry.ohio-state.edu/%7Erzellmer/chem1250/syl_video.htm>

This is a video presentation of the syllabus, as I would have done years
ago during the first lecture.  I actually expanded it and went into a lot
more detail than I used to do in class since this gives me more time to
discuss the various portions of the syllabus.  You need to watch it since
I won't go over the syllabus in lecture.  Some pages are short and pretty
self explanatory.  You could probably just read them quickly.

You are responsible for knowing about the various aspects of the course
which are explained in the syllabus.  I don't expect you to have it memorized
but know a good portion of what's there and know you should go to the
syllabus first when you have questions about the course.  If you ask me a
question which is answered in the syllabus I may simply tell you to find it there.

You certainly want to understand the material about the class itself (schedule),
grading, info about exams and recitations and academic misconduct (what it is
and what are some of the things which are considered violations).

There is a separate lab syllabus you also need to read.  I didn't include this.

You really should watch this video.  Page 7 covers the lecture schedule.
Pages 8-9 cover the recitation and quizzes in detail.  On page 10 I discuss the
exams and make-up exams.  Page 11 is not in the "official" syllabus you'll find
on Carmen.  I added this page.  This page covers the recommended end-of-chapter
textbook exercises, the publisher's solutions manual, the Mastering Chemistry on-line
homework (for credit), lecture notes, my office hours, office location and phone number
(leave a message as it gets sent to me via e-mail).

It took me several hours to create it (about 3 hours).  It should answer a number
of your questions.

Dr. Zellmer