Welcome to Chem 1220 - Spring Semester 2023

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Sun Jan 8 14:52:28 EST 2023

Hello.  I am Dr. Zellmer.  I am teaching Chem 1220 Autumn Semester.  I'm
teaching two sections of 1220, 11:10 AM-12:30 PM and 3:55-5:15 PM.

I apologize if you are getting this and you are not signed up for Chem 1220.
I got the current roster with your e-mails from the registrar (SIS, Buckeyelink).
In follow-up e-mails I'll discuss recitations, quizzes and various other things.

I also apologize for sending this so late.  Normally it would have been sent
awhile ago.  We've been modifying the syllabus and Carmen.

If you are on a wait list, I'm sending this info to you as well, so you know
it if you get in the course.  You can get to all the material on my web pages
but you won't have access to Carmen.  If you are still on the wait list when
we start this week I encourage you to come to lecture. You can not attend
lab if you're not enrolled.

Carmen is active.  There may still be some changes which occur this week.
I'll send more on that, the textbook and on-line homework system in
subsequent e-mails.

I have personal class webpages which are partially available now.  I'm
still working on parts of them.   More on this below.

You will be getting a lot of e-mail from me throughout the semester.  It
is meant to inform and help you about the course and lab.  You can
read it or not but if you miss something because you haven't it's your
responsibility.  You may not need something in an e-mail immediately when
you get the e-mail, but you should save it.  There's also links on my
Chem 1220 pages (not Carmen) for every e-mail I will send at the bottom
of the page.

The course and lab syllabi are available.  You'll find them in Carmen.
I put links to them on my personal class webpage as well (see below).

The semester starts tomorrow, Monday, 1/9/23.

Lab does NOT meet this week.  All labs, except Monday (due to Martin
Luther King day holiday) will meet next week.  Monday labs meet for the
first time the 3rd week of classes.

All recitation sections will meet this week.  This first period is simply a
review of 1210 material and general info about the course.  It DOES count
for credit.  See pages 8-9 of the syllabus for more detail about recitation.

Attendance will be taken during recitations.    You will also be taking quizzes
each week outside of normal class time (Sunday evenings).  Both attendance
and quizzes will be part of your recitation score.  There are more details in the
syllabus and I will send a follow-up e-mail about recitations and quizzes.

The lab supervisor will be sending e-mails and/or putting announcements in
Carmen with details about the labs.  See the lab syllabus on Carmen and
my webpage for details.

The class Carmen pages are active so you can start checking on material which
will be due the first week of classes. There are mandatory quizzes on Carmen
which are due the first week.

You will access MasteringChemistry and the eText through the MyLab and
Mastering link in the menu for the course.  You get access through CarmenBooks.
There are already some things set up for the first week.  For the first week there's
only one thing FOR CREDIT, "Chapter 11 Review" (due by 11:59 PM Sat, 1/14).

The other things for this week are an Introduction to MasteringChemistry" and
"Chemistry Primer".  They are NOT for credit and if you used MC previously you
may not need to do the "Intro" set.  I'll send more info about the online homework
in follow-up e-mails.

I have my own webpages, separate from Carmen.  There's a lot of information
there.  You should investigate what's there.  Not everything is activated just yet.

The links to my homepage and the class link (which can be found at
my homepage) are,

https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/

Chemistry 1220 - Sp23<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/chem1220/chem1220.htm>

There you will find the lecture and lab syllabi.  There also will be an
audio/visual version of the syllabus.   This is not quite ready.  When
it is I will send an e-mail.  I highly suggest you read the syllabus and
watch the video.  The video is rather long, but I explain things in detail.

There's also a "little" note to let you know a few things about 1220.
Read the WHOLE message at the link listed below and any to follow:

https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/chem1220/chem1220_intro.txt

This will make things easier for you when we start on Mon, 1/9/23.
If you notice a mistake or something that looks "strange" (reference to
wrong class, incorrect dates, etc.) let me know.

You can find further details at the link above.

Then go to the "Notes" link.  There you will find a copy of the notes
(overheads) I will be using in lecture.  I highly suggest you print them
and bring them with you (print them with two pages to a single physical
page to save paper) or download them to an iPad (Notability), Surface
Pro, etc.  We start with chapter 13 (13.4, 13.2, 13.1).  Just print/download
Ch 13 for now since I may be making some minor changes to some of the
later chapters.  You will also see what sections from 1210 you should
review at the top of the "Notes" link.  Do that now before we start rather than
starting chapter 13.  For now, pay particular attention to ch 11 (attractive
forces, properties of liquids, vapor pressure, heat of vaporization, boiling
point - things needed for ch 13) and ch 12 (which is the material you
need to know concerning solids and taken from ch 11 of the 11th edition
of the textbook).  There are three links from the 11th ed. dealing with solids.
You won't need to know much about unit cells and related calculations.  I
will not be reviewing Ch 11 in lecture so you'll need to do this on your own.

There's also a link to a table about the types of solids, their attractive
forces and their properties (which depend on their AF).  It is very
important to understand this material since we will be talking about
solubility of solids, which depends on AF.  The link is,

Types of Solids and Their Properties<https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/chem1220/notes/Table_13-10_solids_no_lines.pdf>

There are prerecorded lecture videos for the whole semester posted on
Carmen. There's also another set of topical videos in Carmen from another
lecturer. These videos are there in case you miss lecture due to an emergency.
It is not a good idea to miss lecture with the idea you'll just watch the videos.
There are things I do in lecture which might not be in the videos, like
demonstrations.  You will find this in the "Lecture" module at the "Lecture
Videos - pre-recorded" submodule.

I have pre-recorded videos for chapters 11 and 12 up already for you to
listen to in order to review the material you need from those chapters for
1220.  I will leave it up to you to do this before the first lecture this coming
week.  Try to watch these and do some reviewing before the first lecture.

I won't lie to you.   This class will be tough.  This class is going to move
pretty quickly and the material is generally more difficult than the material
you covered in Chem 1210.  You saw most of the 1210 material in high
school.  Most of you will not have seen the material in 1220 in high school,
especially at the level at which we cover it.  If you hope to do well, you
should plan on spending about 15 hours a week outside of class just on
lecture material and homework and another 3-4 on lab work (preparation,
reports, etc.).  That's about 18-19 hours per week outside of class.

There may be times due to the nature of the book material and lab material
it might take more or less time than this.  Just plan on the maximum time.
If you need less time it doesn't mess up your plan but if you wind up needing
more, then you must change your plans and make a new schedule.  Just
try to stay on top of things and not fall behind (worse thing you could do).

I've been teaching most of this material for more than 30 years.  I know very
well what things you need from this course for courses down the road and
exams you may some day take to get into graduate or professional school.

Okay, that's it for this e-mail.  Many more will follow later and throughout
the semester.  I will work very hard for you, and I expect the same from you.

Dr. Zellmer