Arrhenius Acid-Base Theory and NH3

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 15 08:00:48 EST 2023

I mentioned this in class last Thursday.  The textbook states
NH3 is an Arrhenius base.  Someone had a question about this.

The book is technically incorrect.  The original definition stated
that OH- was part of the compound and that compound when put
in water released the OH-, making the solution basic (inc. the conc.
of OH-).  This theory couldn't correctly explain why NH3 was a
base.  Instead, Arrhenius came up with the nonexistent substance
ammonium hydroxide, NH4OH, which has an OH- in the formula.
This really doesn't exist.  If you put NH3 in H2O you get NH4+ ions
and OH- ions, which we can see using Bronsted-Lowry Theory.
However, if you allow the water to evaporate you don't get a
compound of ammonium hydroxide.  Instead, what happens as the
water vaporizes is the NH3 slowly comes out of soln as a gas (which
it was to begin with) and you will eventually be left with nothing but air.

A looser definition, which the book uses, is an Arrhenius base is
any substance that increases the conc. of OH- in an aqueous soln.
NH3 does inc. the conc. of OH-.  But again, this does not strictly
fit the definition of an Arrhenius base.  Using this criterion, any
anion that acts as a base would be considered an Arrhenius base
(such as F- and most books don't state this is so).

By the way, you will often see on a bottle of aqueous NH3 the name
ammonium hydroxide.  This is a misnomer (as I explained above) but
has kind of stuck for the name of an aqueous solution of NH3 .

Here's a link which also describe this,

http://www.chemteam.info/AcidBase/Arrhenius-AcidBase.html

Below are some more interesting links dealing with this and
Arrhenius (quite a prolific scientist).  I don't necessarily like using
Wikipedia as a direct reference but you can find other links there
to check on things.

https://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A708257

https://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A692796

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svante_Arrhenius

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_(chemistry)<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_%28chemistry%29>

This technically applies to other substances as well.  According to his
original theory the base had to have an OH (technically, hydroxide ion,
OH-) in the formula.  This means the answer in the solutions manual on
Carmen to 16.14(b) (13th, 12th & 10th ed.) is technically not correct.

Finally, one last thing.  If there's a midterm question about whether
NH3 is an Arrhenius base you should say it is since the textbook
states this.

Dr. Zellmer