Studying for final exam, reviews

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Sun Apr 23 09:56:17 EDT 2023

I've received questions about how to study for the final.  I addressed this
in lecture last week.  There's not enough time to go back to the beginning
and start reading everything and doing a bunch of EOCEs.  Try to zero
in on what you don't remember or know.

For the old material, you should print out the sample quizzes.  It's best to
retake the quizzes in the allotted time.  At least work through them.  Then
check the solutions.

midterm.  Make sure you remember everything you knew to begin with.
Then, start with things you kind of understood but got wrong on the midterms.
Figure out why the correct answers are what they are.  Leave the things
you are still really struggling with until the end.  Hopefully, there won't be a
lot of those.  If there's a few things you are still really struggling with, try to
come to the review for the final and I'll try to answer them.  Send them to
me before the review so I have time to prepare for them.

For the new material, do EOCEs and the Mastering.  You can go back and
look at the Mastering questions but it's probably easier to look at the EOCEs.

The last quiz is today, Sunday, Apr 23.  It covers 23.3-23.6 and 21.1-21.3.
Section 21.4 is not on today's quiz but is on the final.  The sample quiz
over this material will be posted by Monday.

There's so much to look at it can be overwhelming.  Just start somewhere.
Maybe start with the material in the "Preparation for the Final Exam" module.
Start with the questions for the new material.  Then take Practice Final
Exam v1 and time yourself.  Fix what you miss, remember to include
things you got correct but guessed.  Then take version 2 and do the same.
Then move on to the material for the midterms.

If you didn't do well on one midterm but okay on the other two start with
the material for the exams you did okay on.  That may seem counterintuitive.
It's not.  If you start with the exams you did okay on, it won't take as long to
go over that material and you can hopefully get that material correct on the
final.  Then move to the midterm you struggled with.  Leave the things you
had the most problems with until the end.  If you run out of time to get
through just a few things keep in mind there won't be lots of questions over
one single concept.

I will be holding a review on Sunday, Apr 30, 3-6 PM, in MP 1000.

The "Exams" link on my personal class webpage has information about
the final. The Practice Exams link on my personal class webpage has
similar info and a link to the practice questions over the new material (the
same questions which are on Carmen).

Dr. Zellmer