Chapters 20 and 23 and lecture for Thursday (includes new material for batteries)

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Wed Apr 5 18:24:38 EDT 2023

We finished up through 20.6 on Tuesday.  We will be finishing 20.7-20.9
tomorrow and starting Ch 23.   I sent an e-mail just a little while ago about
new notes for Section 20.7 (Batteries).  You should download those for
tomorrow's lecture.

For Section 20.3, voltaic cells, you should understand the pictures/diagrams
for the setup of a voltaic cell.  There are some EOCE which ask questions
about voltaic cells.  I suggest taking the example from class or the book and
try to sketch it yourself.  Label things, anode (is this for oxidation or reduction,
what's the sign), cathode (is this for ox or red, what's the sign), which way
to electrons flow, which way do anions and cations flow between the anode
and cathode compartments, etc.  We did all this last Thursday.

We do Ch 23 next.  Skim sections 23.1 and 23.2.  I'm not sure I'll get
through 23.2 but that is the plan.

I sent an e-mail in the last couple of days about the Mastering for Ch 19
and 20 which are due this weekend and Monday.

Midterm 3 covers 17.3-17.6, Ch 19 and Ch 20.

Dr. Zellmer