[AFS_OSU] Meeting Recap and Upcoming Events

Riffle, Kelsey G. riffle.81 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Wed Nov 2 11:02:54 EDT 2016

I hope you all are having a good first week of November!

Yesterday we were able to tour O.S. Kelly and TinkerOmega in Springfield with the help of Rob Hill and Wil Tinker.

At O.S. Kelly, Rob walked through the step by step process of how they manufacture Steinway piano parts.  After seeing how much work is put into one component of the piano, you get a much better appreciation for the art of crafting a piano!  They are in the process of updating some of their methods which goes to show that every process can be improved!

While at TinkerOmega, Wil showed us some of the current projects and machines they are working on, including a 3D sand printer. TinkerOmega specializes in the no-bake sand casting industry, and they are able to take standard machines and customize them to the specifications of what their customer needs.  There is some significant engineering and progression happening there!

A few notes on upcoming events in November!
If you have not already heard, we are selling tickets to the Blue Jackets vs Rangers game on Friday, November 18th as a fundraiser.  Tickets are $40 in the lower bowl and the club will receive $7 per ticket!  Share this with your family and friends as it will be a fun experience and you are able to support the future projects our members will come up with!  If you'd like more information, please check out the following website! (https://groupmatics.events/#/event/OSUFoundry16)

We also have the Central Ohio Chapter Meeting on Thursday, November 17th.  We would love to have as many members there as possible!  It's a great experience to network with local foundry professionals, learn about current events in the industry and many of these professionals are looking for summer interns to share their knowledge with! If you are interested, please contact Tori Hicks (hicks.462 at osu.edu) for carpool information!

If you are not in the GroupMe and would like to be added, please send me your phone number at riffle.81.  Also, find us on social media!  We try to post most events on our pages and it's an easier way for us to get into contact with you!
Facebook: Afs Osu
Twitter: afs_osu
Instagram: afs.osu

Have a great rest of the week and we hope to see you at some of our upcoming events!

Kelsey Riffle
The Ohio State University | Materials Science and Engineering
Secretary | American Foundry Society OSU Chapter
Big-Little Coordinator | Society of Women Engineers OSU Chapter
(740) 973-2020 | riffle.81 at osu.edu