[Vwoolf] The importance of models

Anne Fernald fernald at fordham.edu
Thu Jan 25 16:42:10 EST 2024

Dear Woolfians,

Iknow this has been weighing on you (ha!), so I wanted to share the answer:
the quotation I was dimly remembering and seeking is not Woolf at all: it's
Alice Walker's essay, "Saving the Life That Is Your Own: The Importance of
Models in the Artist's Life," the first essay in *In Search of Our Mothers'
Gardens. *The essay opens quoting a letter from Van Gogh in which he
complains that he is suffering under an absolute lack of models. It's this
essay that ends with a thanks to Virginia Woolf, "Who has saved so many of
us."

I feel relieved to have figured it out!

Happy Birthday to Woolf,

Anne
Anne E. Fernald <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.fordham.edu/info/24101/anne_fernald__;!!KGKeukY!13i8SY-RAyWqr9R56CK9LOEApd_YQGoBdvsg6a02bnJk4vtomL2PwkPnyBtu25sIpxPVjVpuOpzN9PegftzyamM$ > (she/her)
Professor of English and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
*The Norton Critical Edition of *Mrs. Dalloway
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://wwnorton.com/books/9780393655995__;!!KGKeukY!13i8SY-RAyWqr9R56CK9LOEApd_YQGoBdvsg6a02bnJk4vtomL2PwkPnyBtu25sIpxPVjVpuOpzN9PegC0gI7Q4$ >
*The Oxford Handbook to Virginia Woolf
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-oxford-handbook-of-virginia-woolf-9780198811589?resultsPerPage=2700&lang=en&cc=us__;!!KGKeukY!13i8SY-RAyWqr9R56CK9LOEApd_YQGoBdvsg6a02bnJk4vtomL2PwkPnyBtu25sIpxPVjVpuOpzN9PegUi4AjDM$ >*
fernald at fordham.edu