[Vwoolf] Uncollected Letters of Virginia Woolf

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 17 05:50:04 EDT 2023

Apropos of the message below, it is particularly humiliating that we are not able to track down the Archives of Harcourt, Brace.  Can anybody help?  What with the takeovers and the dividings up, where the Archives now are is a mystery to us.  (B. J. Kirkpatrick said that she used to correspond with a very helpful woman in NYC in the 1950s to the 1980s.  I corresponded with a less-helpful woman in Orlando, FL, in the 1990s.)

At present we have about sixteen (some not complete) letters, most of them taken from the intros. to the Shakespeare Head edns of “To the Lighthouse” and “Night and Day”, and from Edward L. Bishop, ‘Mind the Gap: The Spaces in Jacob’s Room’, WSA 10 (2004).

Joanne Trautmann wrote:

“About 20 letters from VW to her American publishers, Harcourt, Brace (mostly addressed to Donald Brace) are preserved in the offices of Harcourt, Brace Jovanovich, New York. They are of no special interest[!], but reached the Editors too late for inclusion in the published volumes.”

Stuart