[Vwoolf] missionary string bags

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Sun Oct 15 06:01:36 EDT 2023

Ah, thanks Stuart, that fits much better than the “Taylors and Edgeworths” quotation. The replacement of “revives” with “refreshes” suggests that Moyes is quoting from memory. Could she even be running the two quotations together?

The “pretty hat” quotation is rather cheering!

Here’s a vintage photograph of a string bag, although I doubt it is a missionary one.

Professor Emeritus
Department of Language and Literature
NTNU
7491 Trondheim