[Vwoolf] A New York Times Book Review that resonates with Woolf but does not mention her

Neverow, Vara S. neverowv1 at southernct.edu
Sun May 14 17:40:20 EDT 2023

Dear Peter,
Thanks so much for weighing in. The reflections I shared about Leonard's negotiations with the Berg come from Mark Hussey's essay, and your take is of great interest. I am relying on Mark's argument, so perhaps he will join the conversation.
Just for clarity, I was not referring to Woolf's reception during her lifetime. She was quite well received (with many fans and, of course, a number of enemies), but Woolf's reception did start to wane shortly after her death and her "renaissance" really didn't start to emerge until the 60s (but in the US and Canada and not in the UK). And you yourself know all too well the tensions that arose when Jane Marcus and Quentin Bell started to spar in Critical Inquiry and in the Miscellany in the mid-1980s. I am sorry that I wasn't making that important point evident!
Vara

Vara Neverow
(she/her/hers)
Professor, English Department and Women’s and Gender Studies Program
Managing Editor, Virginia Woolf Miscellany
Southern Connecticut State University
New Haven, CT 06515
203-392-6717
neverowv1 at southernct.edu

I acknowledge that Southern Connecticut State University was built on traditional territory of the indigenous peoples and nations of the Paugusett and Quinnepiac peoples.