[Vwoolf] Alison Bechdel Edition of To The Lighthouse

mhussey at verizon.net mhussey at verizon.net
Tue Jun 6 10:12:32 EDT 2023

I happened to see the ‘Deluxe Edition’ of TtL yesterday in a bookshop. As others have noted, it is the 1992 Penguin edition (i.e. with Hermione Lee’s intro and Stella McNichol’s editing, although the latter seems to have been more or less disappeared) with a new cover by Alison Bechdel, and a Foreword by Patricia Lockwood.

I am picking up this thread again because in the front matter, the publisher states: “This edition is collated from all known proofs, manuscripts, and impressions to reflect the author’s intentions, and includes a catalogue of emendations ….” (the latter presumably referring to McNichols’s two appendices). I suppose it is too much to expect someone who thinks Ramsay is spelled Ramsey to understand that “author’s intentions” is a woefully out of date term in current textual editing practices, but this note also misrepresents what McNichol explains she has done in her transparent editing of the text of the novel. But publishers (and apparently Woolf’s copyright holders) don’t trouble themselves with such picky scholarly details.