[Vwoolf] Barbie's dream house (of her own)

Mark Scott mark.travis at frontier.com
Fri Jul 28 20:53:17 EDT 2023

!-------------------------------------------------------------------|
  This Message Is From an External Sender
|-------------------------------------------------------------------!

I was listening to our local National Public Radio station a couple of days
ago and happened to hear a review of the Barbie movie from NPR's Fresh Air
book critic, Maureen Corrigan, Professor of the Practice in Literary
Criticism at Georgetown University.  Professor Corrigan had this, among
other, things, to say about the Barbie doll as she described how Barbie was
different from the baby dolls that preceded her:

"But Barbie could fend for herself. Like Nancy Drew, she drove her own
roadster and lived in her own dream house — Virginia Woolf's room of one's
own painted in pastels. Barbie didn't teach girls to be of service; she
taught us the giddy pleasures of a seeming autonomy — "seeming" because
Barbie's autonomy, which the film hilariously depicts in its opening version
of "Barbie Land," is limited to the gender norms of pre-second wave
feminism, encased in pink bubble wrap."

A pastel Malibu dream house of her own....

Mark Scott
Common Reader