[Vwoolf] Updates for the 32nd Annual International Conference on Virginia Woolf

Laci Mattison ljmattison at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 08:21:06 EST 2023

Dear Woolfians,

Happy New Year! I write with some conference updates, which I hope bring a
bit of joy to your inbox (as each email and proposal submission has brought
to me these last several months).

   1.

   Some exciting updates are now available on the website
   <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.fgcu.edu/cas/departments/langlit/virginiawoolf2023/__;!!KGKeukY!1ACSdKgCHxHUQPWplEcT82YON5dl3oEB3M-F-P3fH5ZGYLV-U58RIX-iTNTiODuF1PUDmpD0uZYnt3PrIqjl1RkGNBzG2yCjLk8$ >. See
   especially the information about housing and the plenaries and events!
   2.

   I’ve received amazing proposals already and am eager for yours, too! You
   will submit proposals through the submission portal on the website. Here’s
   the direct link:
   https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.fgcu.edu/cas/departments/langlit/virginiawoolf2023/*Submissions__;Iw!!KGKeukY!1ACSdKgCHxHUQPWplEcT82YON5dl3oEB3M-F-P3fH5ZGYLV-U58RIX-iTNTiODuF1PUDmpD0uZYnt3PrIqjl1RkGNBzGlQIK-BA$
   .

While I’m thrilled to be hosting our first in-person conference since 2019
at Florida Gulf Coast University, there are many access barriers to
conference attendance, and those barriers have been amplified during our
ongoing pandemic. Hybrid conferences are difficult to manage, and I am
unfortunately not equipped to organize a conference in a hybrid modality.
However, I am collaborating with the IVWS to pilot a Fall Symposium that
will be a virtual sibling to the 2023 conference. The symposium will share
the 2023 theme, “Virginia Woolf & Ecologies”; conference and symposium
presenters alike will be invited to submit their papers to the selected
proceedings for the 32nd Annual International Conference on Virginia Woolf;
and the wonderful Derek Ryan has already agreed to give the keynote for
this fall event. Our hope is that pairing the in-person conference with a
later virtual symposium might be a sustainable way to lower some
participation barriers and to model options for inclusivity beyond a hybrid
format.

Woolfully yours,

Laci
P.S. Feel free to contact me at vwoolf2023 at fgcu.edu <vwoolf23 at fgcu.edu> or