[Vwoolf] An article in Telegraph on Woolf being lesser thanKatherine Mansfield

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 5 05:28:53 EST 2023

A bit closer to NZ, just across the Tasman, a perverse article from 2007:*

“Both were lesbians ... the greater writer died very young and is remorsefully overlooked today, while the other fell victim to World War Two by drowning herself, adding to her steady ascendancy as a great novelist who sails onwards ... today hardly anyone reads Katherine Mansfield” (p. 281).

And yet, and yet - this is a valuable article, for it includes facsimiles of 2 letters to Edmond Kapp, one from KM and one from VW, the latter uncollected (I don’t know about the former).

*‘Women in Love’, by Sydney Cauveren, in Manuscripts, 59:4 (Fall 2007): 281-6

Stuart